cabbage treat

I just bought a cabbage and hung it up on the coop, hoping for some cabbage "tetherball." No such luck. Our chickens absolutely hate it, both hanging up and if you tear off leaves for them. Won't touch the stuff.

I think they're spoiled.

Do yours like green or purple cabbage?

Next, I'm going to try to hang a cantaloupe -- that's their favorite.

Plain ole green cabbage, never tried the purple. I also tie the bunch of collards together with the bungee and let that hang, they pick at it all day too. Maybe you could try a head of lettuce?

If yours don't like cabbage (are you maybe using the really hard pale 'winter storage' type cabbages?), try kale or bok choy or swiss chard, or at least one of the dark-green type lettuces (i.e. anything but iceberg). It helps keep the yolks dark orange thru the winter when there are no fresh-growing greens out there for them to eat.

My girls are especially partial to chard, although, inconveniently for them, so am I
wink.png
I mostly just give them the ratty leaves on the outside of the bunch, the ripped ones and the ones that fell on the supermarket floor.

The thing MINE won't eat that they're supposed to like is broccoli. Go figure.

Pat

My mom would put out chicken skins for the cats the eat and the neighbor's chickens would chase off the cats and fight each other to eat the chicken skins. They loved it.

I love that melon idea...something tells me I am going to have to try that this week!
For those of you who didn't have a big hit witht he cabbage...did you cut any chunks or holes out of it. I know a few rescues that do that to "get the chickens started" I guess the inside is a bit more tasty.
wink.png

The only meat I have given my chickens is shrimp. They LOVED it. Talk about a massive game of keep away!

Okay, I'm a bad chicken momma....mine love pizza! it's absolutely their favorite treat!

My cabbage head hung didn't work that well, so I took it down & shredded it in my food processor. Then, the next time I hung one up, they went after it like crazy!

The two favorite veggie treats for mine are cauliflower and mustard greens.

Back
Top Bottom