Cabinet Incubator

BaileyJean

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
I have been using a Little Giant incubator for years and I am wanting to make a cabinet style incubator. I have looked through the articles on BYC and found some really good information. I have a base line to start, but there are some things that I am wondering about.
I am hoping to build something similar to this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/als-homemade-cabinet-incubator
My biggest question is about installing an alarm. I have read of people having alarms when the temperature gets to high or low. However I haven't been able to find something to install. Does anyone have suggestions or have something they have used?
I haven't started building yet, just gathering information and starting a plan. Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated!

I plan to design my own electronics when I do mine later this year as I have not found a nice 'all in one' option that is reasonably priced and has the features I want... Figured I would design my own and if all goes well maybe offer some up for sale, but that probably won't happen for at least 6 months to a year...

There seems to me no shortage of people bashing this and that together to get working DIY systems though, so hopefully someone has some ideas...

I agree, I will be doing my own electronics too.
I think I will be using a wafer thermostat vs a hot water heater thermostat. From what I've read it seems that the wafer thermostats seem to be more reliable and accurate. If someone has experience with the wafer thermostat can I have your feedback?

I agree, I will be doing my own electronics too.
I think I will be using a wafer thermostat vs a hot water heater thermostat. From what I've read it seems that the wafer thermostats seem to be more reliable and accurate. If someone has experience with the wafer thermostat can I have your feedback?

Hot water heater thermostats are just small bi-metal wafer thermostats in a nice plastic housing with a relay build in... Analog bi-metal thermostats have proven themselves quite reliable over the decades... The biggest disadvantage a hot water thermostat has is that it's contained in a housing thus it's a little slower to notice temp changes vs thermostat that is out in the open...

For me I will be doing a totally digital circuit that monitors temp and humidity, has countdowns, runs egg turners, adjust humidity based on day, has alarms blah blah blah, pretty much a complete bells and whistles system that I can mostly ignore (although I know I won't)...

Wow, that would be nice to have an all digital circuit that monitors and controls everything! I'm not sure if I'm electrically talented enough to create something like that.
hmm.png

I ordered a wafer thermostat and it should be here later this week. I can't wait to get started on this project! I'm taking apart one of my LG incubators (that a mouse chewed holes in) and seeing if I can't use the heating element off of it to use in the new incubator. It may not work, but we will see.

Wow, that would be nice to have an all digital circuit that monitors and controls everything! I'm not sure if I'm electrically talented enough to create something like that.
hmm.png

Well I'm a freelance electronics engineer by trade now, so designing electronics is kind of what I do everyday ;)

As long as you don't go too much larger (sqft) then the incubator you are taking the heating element out of, it should be fine being repurposed... If you go too much larger it will take too long to recover the after each opening...

Well then I guess your a bit a head of me! haha

My new incubator will be much bigger than the LG, so your right. It may take too long for it to heat back up after it is opened or something.
I guess I will still take it apart, just to see how it works.

Back
Top Bottom