Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Pics
Babies are doing fine now. Six total died, the rest look healthy. My poults are doing well, so I am really happy about that (all three are blue slates, I think). I think I have some German Spitzhaubens in the bunch. Not 100% sure, but they have cavernous nostrils and a slightly larger dome, but not anything like the Polish chicks.

Have you hear from cackle? Is sad that life has no value to some people. I understand if a box gets damage in the postal system but to destroy a box like that with live animals inside is just cruel and inhuman. The chicks make noise...is not like they had no idea there were live animals.

Well, when I am on my husband's computer, I am going to contact the USPS claims dept about the damage. Someone, either one of the kids or my cat, tipped water on my desktop's keyboard in the last two days, and the keyboard is not working. USPS website is not iPad-friendly, which is what I am on right now. He just got back from being at his worksite for the last few days, so I should be able to do that tomorrow. They were the ones that damaged the box (I couldn't see them accepting a box in that shape to mail in the first place, so I have to assume that the box left Cackle in good shape).

I hope you can get to the bottom of it all. Shame on the USPS for mistreating your poor and helpless baby chick box. Did you get ahold of Cackle about the empty compartment? Could some have gotten out due to poor shipping on usps's part or was one section left empty by cackle?

I honestly hated my cackle surprise.
I got
Roughly 15 OEGBs, almost all the same color, like 2 that were different
2 Cornish
Rest were mixed. Out of 25 chicks.
No ducks.
No turkeys.
OEGBs
Never ordering from them again. Every time we lose about half or more of their chicks.

Really disappointed in you cackle, ESP. Since everyone else got such great deals!
Just...gahh!!!

I got
2 Cornish
No ducks.
No turkeys.
OEGBs
Never ordering from them again. Every time we lose about half or more of their chicks.

Really disappointed in you cackle, ESP. Since everyone else got such great deals!
Just...gahh!!!

What do you mean by mixed? What kind of mixes?

I got
2 Cornish
No ducks.
No turkeys.
OEGBs

Just...gahh!!!

When you got yours? You only got like 25 chicks?

It was left empty by Cackle. The problem is, if that damage had been to any other compartment, chicks could have, and probably would have, gotten out of the package.

So far, pretty pleased with this mix.

Now that I have replaced my keyboard (dratted cat or kid for ruining my iMac's keyboard, I like the "feel" of the keys on it, and am not fond of the deeper/taller PC keys, even on a slim profile keyboard), I was able to file that with the USPS. I sent them a copy of the box picture too.

So, here is the run-down of the babies, noting that they didn't send me any Bantams per my request (open country, with hawks that would likely make a quick meal out of Bantams):

2 that are maybe Silver Spangled Hamburgs? They do not have straight combs, they had racing stripes on their backs under those wing feathers, and are VERY fast little critters. Smaller than some of the other chicks, but not "bantam" small.

3 Polish, I don't know which varieties

2 chicks that I think are Lakenvelder? Straight combs, slate legs, unusual speckling on their heads.

Three turkeys, two that I am certain are Blue Slates, and one that I suspect is also a Blue Slate in a paler baby color (it has grey too in its baby down, but MUCH paler):

2 Wyandottes, maybe? They have a wide, non-straight comb and clean, yellow legs.

2 feather footed, Straight combed: I am guessing Silver-Laced Cochin?

2 German Spitzhaubens? Cavernous nostrils; slight, SLIGHT dome; slate legs; very active.

3 with white spots on their heads, splotchy black on legs, straight combs: unknown breed (could be several, and I have had none of them before)

6 EE, a variety of colors (and chubby cuteness)

2 with Straight comb, feathered feet, normal number of toes: Cochin?

2 with mottled beak coloring, straight combs (some black tips on the comb), black splotches on legs, not certain they are the same breed

1 that is the same color pattern as my Blue Slate turkeys, keeps getting mixed up with them. Appears to have a straight comb, yellow legs, grey baby down across its back with yellow on its face and stomach.

Not sure about this one chick. Straight comb, fine stripe on head, wing feathers coming in with some buff-ish colors and other darker colors.

4 chicks with buff colors to their wings, though a couple have some other colors coming through.

1 chick. feathered feet, rose comb, I am saying Light Brahma.

1 chick. My smallest. I had others like it that died. Flat-looking comb, VERY active.

Three unknown hooligans with straight combs. Not sure if they are the same breed. One is paler than the others.

Last edited:
this could be a mistake...but today they shipped my box and I just saw it weighted 16 pounds....16 pounds!!!!!!! Or this piece of information is wrong or they send me a very full box of poultry. I requested if available turkeys, goose and meat chickens.All of those are heavier than the common chicks I think. Lets see what the surprise box brings....lol

Back
Top Bottom