Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Pics
Mine ships out 3/10. I can't wait! This is the first time I've ordered chicks online.

Woohoo! so excited for you
wee.gif

I got my ship notices yesterday. My surprise ships on June 2 and my regular order (10 Spitzhaubens, 5 EEs, and 15 cochin bantams) ships 4/22. I was totally bummed by the April ship date. I told them I would order more bantams if they could fulfill the other chicks earlier but otherwise I wanted them the first of April. But the end of April is the soonest they can do the Spitzhaubens
sad.png

Its ok though, because I have 7 week old TSC chicks in one half of the brooder, 9 silkies from Heirloom Orpingtons in the other side, 6 silkies from Heirloom Orpingtons in the grow out pen, and I have agreed to buy a sex link breeding pen and olive egger breeding pen from them. Hubby better start building lol

Love it. Where do you have the heat lamp (or other heat source)? Looks like something I need to build.

CG

we will have heat domes on the top towards the back where we have the screen and Thank you !!!

*Update on our Brooder*

(Puppy pads with odor control under our shavings to
help with of course odor and droppings)

Last edited:
Love the look of your brooder! What are the dimensions and how many chicks do you think you'll be able to fit?

Thinking about ordering a surprise pack myself!

4ft wide/3ft deep/14in high/3ft total height. My husband figures around 80 to 100 chicks depending if we get water fowl. Water fowl we going to setup in a different area. :)

We might be making another one identical to this one, considering we have 2 hatchery surprises 1 week apart.

4ft wide/3ft deep/14in high/3ft total height. My husband figures around 80 to 100 chicks depending if we get water fowl. Water fowl we going to setup in a different area. :)

We might be making another one identical to this one, considering we have 2 hatchery surprises 1 week apart.
We had a brooder about the same size and after a couple of weeks, 50 chicks got to be way to many, I can't imagine 80/100 in that small of an area. I think I read somewhere that they need about .5 sq ft per chick for the first 4 weeks? So for a 4x3, 12 sq foot brooder it should be good for 24 chicks? I could be totally off and if you've brooded in an area that size with that many chicks before then ignore me! lol We've already kicked ours out into a grow out pen at 1 1/2-3 weeks old. Of course they have power in numbers for warmth and there's a cold front coming in tomorrow so we might need to supplement heat for a night or two but they are NOT coming back in...

ETA: I just figured up how many we had in our brooder and it was 36 standards and 4 bantams, we had the others (roosters) in another brooder. It was less than 2 weeks and we knew they needed to get outside or have a larger brooder.

Last edited:
They go outside in grow out pens at 2 weeks old. Only thing going in there is chicken (chicks). Our water fowl if any are going in another brooder we have. :)
I knew you knew what you're doing!
big_smile.png
2 weeks is my new 'go outside' age for any group numbers over 10. Even then they will probably be outside at 2 weeks unless they are really, really, really cute bantams...lol Next year I'm going to hold off (don't tell my husband he was right!) until mid-March or so. The 1-2 night sever cold fronts are causing more problems with the moving out process.

Today is Ship Day for our first Hatchery Surprise of 2014.

Tending to things around the house and refreshing my email for my tracking number. :)
I also have over a dozen Black/Blue Copper Maran Hatching eggs being shipped today !!

Back
Top Bottom