Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

looks like it was edited again?
Sounds like they keep having people call and asking questions. The first change I definitely think was needed... I only ordered the Surprise because I googled it and found this thread.

The second change... must be a lot of people kept calling wanting to know what kind they got. Hmmm... I bet people would pay an extra $5 or so if they included a list of what breeds they sent.

I think the chipmunk looking ones are Brown Leghorns.
I was wondering about that. I think some of them are... but there's at least 3 different kinds of the chipmunks. The problem with the pictures in the catalog is that there's a number of them that look similar, but you can't see enough of the back to see for sure!

Sounds like they keep having people call and asking questions. The first change I definitely think was needed... I only ordered the Surprise because I googled it and found this thread.

The second change... must be a lot of people kept calling wanting to know what kind they got. Hmmm... I bet people would pay an extra $5 or so if they included a list of what breeds they sent.
YES! How hard could it be to add a check marked breed packing list as they box them up? Then people would at least know which breeds to look into. It would still be a Surprise, it would still be fun.

Since so many chicks look so similar, the hatchery probably won't be able to tell either.

I was wondering about that. I think some of them are... but there's at least 3 different kinds of the chipmunks. The problem with the pictures in the catalog is that there's a number of them that look similar, but you can't see enough of the back to see for sure!

Oh, I see.

Well, Welsummer and Red Jungle Fowl also have that chipmunk look.

It will be much easier to determine the breeds when they are older.

I am so tempted to order another Surprise, but I still have 100 pullets coming next week! And 42 eggs in the incubator! But this was the neatest thing!

I was also very happy with their customer service. My $60 order wasn't much, I know. But I called them two weeks before to see when it was shipping (this was my first time ordering) and the rep I talked to made me feel like a VIP. And then I get an amazing selection of chicks, no DOA. I had one die when I got home, it had gotten trampled at the waterer.

I had two other small ones look like they were going to die. I think these are the bantam Old English game birds - very small chicks. But I dipped their beaks into sugar water, and they seem much better now.

Oh, I've identified 3 of the chipmunks as Red Jungle Fowl.

Last edited:
I am so tempted to order another Surprise, but I still have 100 pullets coming next week! And 42 eggs in the incubator! But this was the neatest thing!

Oh, I've identified 3 of the chipmunks as Red Jungle Fowl.

Don't you think that will be enough chickens? :)

It seems you received a nice selection of breeds.

Don't you think that will be enough chickens? :)

It seems you received a nice selection of breeds.
Enough? You can never have enough! :) Ok, I admit it, I'm an addict.

Though I was reading in Making Your Small Farm Profitable and the writer says that a man can take care of up to 7,500 chickens. So I've got a long ways to go...

I know I would pay extra to know what I received.

Enough? You can never have enough! :) Ok, I admit it, I'm an addict.

Though I was reading in Making Your Small Farm Profitable and the writer says that a man can take care of up to 7,500 chickens. So I've got a long ways to go...

Wowzers! My bank account (and my neighbor's patience) can't take 7.5K chickens!

My husband announced yesterday that we are quitting our jobs, moving, and getting rid of my chickens (and dogs). We aren't currently speaking. lol I said the only way we will move is if we take the chickens with us. When we moved four years ago I had to get rid of my flock and it was traumatic on my kids (and me). He plans to move BEFORE my surprise gets here
he.gif
Since everytime we move I do ALL the packing I am not sure how he plans to do this without my cooperation!!!! He gets itchy feet after a few years anywhere. The product of growing up as a missionary kid in Latin America I suppose.
I know I would pay extra to know what I received.
I might or might not. I just don't know. Some of the fun is in figuring them out. Sometimes I go to TSC and get 6 birds just b/c I like surprises. But six is easier than 40-50! I might change my mind once I get mine!

Back
Top Bottom