Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

I recieved 56 including ducks and turkens. 3 ducks look like khaki campbells and the hairless neck turkens. I have one that isnt doing so well I think its called splyed legs

I think I've had at least one spraddle/splay legs in almost every box of shipped chicks I've ever gotten. I think I've only lost one. Just make sure it doesn't get trampled or fall in the water. You can sometimes make a brace from bandaids or pipe cleaners. I've never found that to help much when they're in with a large group of chicks in a brooder--they'll get knocked down too much. I've helped mine out by occasionally holding them and making sure they're getting some extra water. They usually get their legs under them within a few days.

If it's bad, you can separate it (with a couple gentle buddies) and try a few of the tips you can find by searching here on BYC.

Last edited:
Thank you for telling us about this, I just noticed they have a special with the phoenix. I may get that one. I would love to get the heavy breed chicks with the free exotics but 100 chicks is a ton more then what I would ever want. However I still may do it. The price is right. For $37.50 it might be worth it for me to do it, and cull all the roosters later on in the year. Nah. I think I will get the Hatchery Surprise and the phoenix special along with my daughters Delawares. I know I wanted some English game, but the Phoenix are cheaper this way. Might as well go for it come Tuesday. Wait until I tell her I changed my mind again
lau.gif

Pre ordered this two months ago after looking at the hatching calendar and thinking the March 31st ship date would be optimize my chances of getting ducks and geese.

Package shipped at midnight weighing 5 lbs. today USPS delivered it to my door at 1030am.
46 chicks, I haven't ID'd them all but I think I got a good variety of game, bantam, polish and full size.
2 ducklings, I got a Pekin and Ancona
2 turkeys either broad breasted whites or royal palms.
No geese :( but maybe next year.

The shipping box was a lot smaller than I anticipated. None DOA, I am keeping a close watch on the turkey's, stupid delicious turkeys.

Am currently brooding the ducks and turkeys together, put the turkeys with the chicks but they kept getting trampled. Anybody ever brood ducks and turkeys together?

Last edited:
Got mine today
34- alive and doing very well 32 chicks 2 turkeys
8 chicks on their last leg
9-doa :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom