Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Here's my best guesses for mine. Correct me if you can!

Golden Penciled Hamburg (looks very much like the Lakenvelder pictured above, except the legs are grey).

Dominiques or Barred Rocks.

No Clue. Leghorns? I also have another one just like them, except it has some black on the tips of the feathers.

Columbian Wyanoddote?

No clue. Bantams.

Mixed cochins.

Woke up this morning to a couple of text messages saying my package has been processed through state sorting facilities, and then got a call from the local PO that my chicks have arrived! I'll go pick them up after I finish my morning school bus run!
wee.gif

I got my chicks!! It was a 4 section box, but only 3 were filled. Total number of chicks is 56, (as stated on invoice), no DOA!
celebrate.gif
I have a mixture of cochins, and top hats, looks like some EEs...I'm comparing pictures to what I think they are based on pics from Feathersite. Sadly, we did not get any other types of birds...wife was really hoping for some goslings. We did call and ask a very nice lady there that if they have any gosling leftovers that we would really like some. I guess none were available. However, I'm not that disappointed as it IS called the hatchery surprise and it's "Hatchery choice". Very happy with the mixture, though! I am uploading pics from my camera to the computer and will post a few pics later on. Now, to go check on the chicks!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
I'm going crazy, mine are 5 weeks on Monday. I am starting to figure out I have a few brahmas, and definitely Columbian Wyandotte's. I have some white chickens with grey eyeliner I call it.
A lot of Cochin's, one of which has a half crushed foot, so he hops, it happened when he was a week old.
He seems to be doing very well despite his handicap.
But I sure do have a lot, I love watching them, then think "what was I think!"

I'm going crazy, mine are 5 weeks on Monday. I am starting to figure out I have a few brahmas, and definitely Columbian Wyandotte's. I have some white chickens with grey eyeliner I call it.
A lot of Cochin's, one of which has a half crushed foot, so he hops, it happened when he was a week old.
He seems to be doing very well despite his handicap.
But I sure do have a lot, I love watching them, then think "what was I think!"

Mine first batch are going on 3 months. I love it! It is so neat to see all the different kinds. I've identified most of them by now, but some of them are still unknown, as there's 2 or 3 or sometimes even 4 or 5 possibilities.

I did end up with a nice pair of Egyptian Fayoumi's. They are beautiful. There's quite a few birds of similar size, and two or three of the duckwings. I have what I believe is a trio of Black Silkies, one of them is a bit bigger than the other two, so a male and two females.

The variety you get with this is just amazing!

Here are a few pics of some of the chicks we got. As you can see, there is quite a good variety! We didn't get any turkeys or waterfowl, but that's OK. Mama told me she and the kids got me a waterfowl special for Father's Day...when I started looking on Uncle Henry's for some ads with goslings or ducklings for sale. (Uncle Henry's is a New England classifieds publication)

Here is how they arrived. There are 56 chicks total.

Chicks at home in their brooder. This is basically a big cardboard box that a recliner came in...got for free!

I'm not so sure what this one is....any guesses?

So, all the chicks are still alive and are settling down for the night. I'm going to do the same!

Here's a link to my photobucket album if you would like to see all <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/ptig78d/embed/slideshow/Chickens/Cackle Hatchery Surprise"></iframe>

LL
Looks like a gold-laced something. Can you get a pic more to the side so I can see wing feathers and maybe a closer up pic straight on of its face so I can see its comb better?

So, we lost 2 chicks so far. One my wife and I witnessed having a seizure and then was still. I found one this morning when I checked on them after I woke. My 8 year old DS was very sad about the chick dying, but we explained that death is a part of life, even in chicks, and that we have given the chicks everything they need to survive, so it died content. Thankfully, he didn't see the seizure occur, that was just my wife and I.

Here is the one I was unsure of at first, but now at day 2, I'm sure is a golden laced polish.

Here is a view of the wing feathers on the GLP.

I'm not sure of the breed on this one. Maybe Gold Penciled Hamburg?

Back
Top Bottom