Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Surprise box order....just got got my invoice cant wait til I get it.uuggh only bad thing is not til march 30 ship.must be all of people wanting chicks.i read all the reviews looks like all were very happy with the surprise Box .will post picture when order comes in.

Surprise box order....just got got my invoice cant wait til I get it.uuggh only bad thing is not til march 30 ship.must be all of people wanting chicks.i read all the reviews looks like all were very happy with the surprise Box .will post picture when order comes in.
I've gotten this three times before .. I love it and there is a good chance I'll do another later in season

Hello All! After much discussion hubby decided that we were going to start our flock with a Cackle Surprise box. The website currently says the next batch will ship in April. We move to our new place in 2 weeks so that works out perfectly! I'm hesitant because I really want certain breeds. I've enjoyed all of the pictures. The Surprise box looks like fun. I guess I should just suck it up and get my breed selection next year?

Do you guys use multiple brooders for this box, or does separating out the chicks, ducks, etc break it up enough that the brooders stay a reasonable size?

Thanks for the input! I'm so excited to finally start our own flock on our new homestead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello All! After much discussion hubby decided that we were going to start our flock with a Cackle Surprise box. The website currently says the next batch will ship in April. We move to our new place in 2 weeks so that works out perfectly! I'm hesitant because I really want certain breeds. I've enjoyed all of the pictures. The Surprise box looks like fun. I guess I should just suck it up and get my breed selection next year?

Do you guys use multiple brooders for this box, or does separating out the chicks, ducks, etc break it up enough that the brooders stay a reasonable size?

Thanks for the input! I'm so excited to finally start our own flock on our new homestead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay peeps! Hooray for starting out boldly, too ;)

I know some people feel differently about housing chicks with poults, so that's an issue of preference as much as anything, but personally I will never keeps waterfowl and chicks together again. Chicks are relatively tidy. Ducks are not. Ducks throw water EVERYWHERE. They soak the bedding and turn their food into slurry. Fortunately, ducklings are OK with a mess as long as you make an effort to keep on top of it. Chicks and poults aren't as hardy in damp bedding. It might be possible to set up a brooder in such a way that any waterfowl would be partitioned off from your chicks, but personally I will just keep waterfowl separate in the future. It sounds like you'll be too early for keets, so two spaces divided as you see fit should be sufficient. Good luck and post pics when you've got peeps to share!

I brood waterfowl separate from my chicks... And need to change bedding on my waterfowl far more often then the chicks. And depending on how many chicks I keep for myself I separate out the bantams from the larger chicks just cause they seem to be more fragile. Turkeys I run with my larger chicks as I've only ever gotten two in a surprise box which is plenty for me anyways.

Mine come next week.. Eek so excited. Plus next week ideal is sending out replacements on the birds I lost last week. And have some eggs hatching now :)... Going to be a busy brooding room lol

Mine come next week.. Eek so excited. Plus next week ideal is sending out replacements on the birds I lost last week. And have some eggs hatching now
smile.png
... Going to be a busy brooding room lol

Mine are coming next week too! Can't wait to see what I get.

Back
Top Bottom