Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

I could be wrong. I am by no means an expert.
Here's some pics of my Polish and Spitzenhaubens for comparison. My Spitzenhaubens are all silver; I didn't get any gold ones.

Polish on the right

Polish on the right on the log. The one in the front is a Sultan

top, from left to right, Polish, Polish, Spitzenhauben
bottom, Polish

Left to right, Polish, Polish, Spitzenhauben,Polish

Spitzenhauben drinking

Spitzenhauben on the right

I guess the main difference I can see is that on the Spitzenhaubens' the crests don't go all the way on the back of the head like the polish do.

Some of my chicks from my hatchery surprise. Ill try not to go Picture crazy, if you spot a breed you know please let me know! I cant decide on most. I should of taken pictures as I was taking them out of the box. Trying to get them to hold still for pics was interesting!

I think the one on the left with the feathered legs anf little crest is a Sultan

Same here. I think the yellow one is a sultan

*scampers off to see SmallfarminWisc's "what are these little ones?" post*

I cleaned the brooders today, all the way down to bare wood, and took photos as I transferred the Littles back to their new digs. Having three levels and only two occupied is a luxury for me. I can set up the one level that's unoccupied, then empty an occupied level by moving them to the fresh set-up. The dirty digs get cleaned, and the second group moved in there. Then I take the third level down to bare wood, and leave it empty until setup for the next cleaning.

I photographed each chick before I put them in their new level.

I have, as best I can describe:

4 turkeys, three are yellow and one is now mostly gray

11 Barred Rocks

11 EE

3 Turken

2 yellow with striped wings and feathered legs

1 chick with dark stripes

8 chipmunks with heavy eyeliner, speckled striped wings and yellow legs (no puffy cheeks)

6 Polish, three dark brown, two very yellow, and one yellow with some gray markings

1 very small brown chick with a rich brown head and dark legs

5 grayish chicks with much lighter wings

2 light chicks with darker wings

Is it me or does this one's head look weird?

4 all yellow chicks without distinguishing marks

1 sweet little apricot chick with the tiniest wings
Sounds like a nice setup! I keep mine in an old horse stall outside in the barn. I sectioned it off to make it smaller for them that way if I have any escapes they are still confined and cant go far. They get more room but cleaning is interesting. They are getting big enough to start jumping out of the crate I put them in to clean. BUT I can sit in the brooder if I want so its an even trade off.

I dunno what to think of your turkens! I think they would scare my nieces and nephews. I would love to see what they look liek when they get older.

You definitely have some adorable little chicks! I wish I could help you identify some of your yellow ones!

Most of the time, Spitzhauben crests should be smaller than a Polish crest, and they should point forward. 3 out of 5 of my Spitzhauben's had the small, pointing forward crests, while the other two had poofy crests like Polish ones.

And these are how they looked as chicks~

Wow, that has no crest at all!

How fast did they grow? When did the crests make an appearance?

I have about a half dozen with that gray through the yellow on their bodies and pale wings.
idunno.gif
I do wonder what they will turn out to be. They look to be growing faster than the turkeys!
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom