Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

When I showed up to to the post office this morning to pick up my surprise box the postal worker said she didn't think I was going to be happy. And she was right. The whole surprise box of chicks died in shipping.

I apologize if this offends anyone, but I figure it will help if I show a picture of the box contents and go over my analysis of why I think this was shipping related.

Based on the above picture, I think early in the shipping process, the chicks experienced enough cold air coming in from the right side of the box to prevent them from being able to maintain body temp as a group. And it was extreme enough that that it occurred quickly before dehydration kicked in as the grow gel was in all 4 area's. This normally is totally devoured before the chicks get to me.

The post office I picked them up from was about 65 degrees this morning.. But the chicks were long dead. Maybe they need to put 'Chicks love 90 degree temps during shipping' on the box...I think I'll ask them to write this on the box next time..
I am so sorry for you loss-that had to be horrible to open =(

Most of mine came with pasty butt most died. at first it was my fault and I was doing something wrong but I compared all my brooder temps and even bought new thermometers. Use room temp water, grind up their food ina food processor and get this stuff called chick puffs from mypetchicken.com. It sounds like you are on you way to what i went through! Contact Cackle immediately. Mine had that virus that causes watery diarrhea and that's why they were getting pasty butt and not making it through cleaning. Use warm water on a small 2x2 gauze padand just do the bare minimum close to the brooder lamp-but not too close. and you will probably need antibiotics fin their water for 6 days if it's what mine had-according to Cackle. But then again, she did blame it on my brooder being too hot after her other staff told me to medicate them immediately which helped the process. Hope this helps.

We had the same issue with Cackle Hatchery. Our first order 2 came dead and we lost 4 more afterwards. They credited a new order and we only lost quite a few from that one as well. We didn't even bother calling back. We kept up with their pastey behinds and medication as our vet instructed. They're happy and healthy now but it was quite the experience for a first time chicken owner to say the least.

Quote:
1st one is an EE. I got 2 in my box, one is now grey and the other one is brownish but you can tell by the puffy cheeks. 2nd one is either the Wyndotte or another barred. I have both 3rd I have as well and am stumped as to what they are. 4th not sure either. I know they are not grey any more at 2 months old however they also are not the barred ones that I have. 5th is GLW I have a pair. 6th could be a polish I ended up with tons of those. Give them a coupe of months it makes it easier to identify them by then.

Try number 2, my replacement shipment.

51 chicks... all alive.. direct into the brooders.

Happy again.

I know others have said they've had problems with customer service making things right, but not me.

Note below that cackle did put grow gel in and the chicks ate it all.

And the post office was about 70 this morning when I picked up my chicks, not 60, like week before last.

Try number 2, my replacement shipment.

51 chicks... all alive.. direct into the brooders.

Happy again.

I know others have said they've had problems with customer service making things right, but not me.

Note below that cackle did put grow gel in and the chicks ate it all.

And the post office was about 70 this morning when I picked up my chicks, not 60, like week before last.
That is awesome! I am glad their customer service is turning around. Please keep us updated on how the new batch does and what kinds you got. I do have to say that my Porcelain D'Uccles bantams and phoenix seem to be doing well and are very nice chicks. My biggest complaint is that I got a sick batch of chicks and the owner would not recognize that this could happen-tells me she medicates all her birds from day 1 on top of medicated feed. I do not like using drugs if not necessary and I don't feel that you should have to medicate birds if they are not sick..... On top of the poor customer service I received, this is another reason i won't buy from Cackle again-I have hatched and raised about 75 other birds-all without medication and prefer to have pasture raised birds for eggs and show whenever possible. I wonder if the fact that they medicate all their birds is a reason for the diarrhea and ultimate death of so many of mine (immunocompromised, antibiotic resistant or like a Cdiff like people get when they wipe out the good bacteria with the bad???) I'm a nurse so I'm just trying to use logic as to why I had such a terrible experience????

our chicks are growing! we put them out in the lawn while we deep cleaned their brooder and they had a blast!

I gave 13 away to my sister, and we lost one of the smaller bantam chicks, not sure why. Everyone else seems healthy and happy. Still trying to figure out some of the breeds.

Anyone know what this one is? It's super tiny! Grey legs.
Polish for size reference
1f60a.png

These guys are 3 weeks old now.

Back
Top Bottom