Calcium deficiency, guidance and recommendations

Navigator73

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2024
I pretty new at backyard chckening, and I have a hen that’s been limping for the past couple days, and laid a shelless egg yesterday. I’ve got her inside with her own food with plenty of oyster shells. I talked to folks at the local farm supply store, and they suggested I add calcium gluconate to her water. All they had was this bottle of the 23% that is an injectable for bovine use, but was told can use orally when mixed in water, and to use 1tbs per gallon for chickens. I just want to make sure that makes sense, or did they talk me into buying something that won’t actually help? Just want to get her back up to health. Thanks!

It'd be a lot easier to just get human calcium citrate pills and just push one of those in her mouth each day, but I'm not sure if calcium deficiency is her issue if all you're going by is a single shellless egg. How old is she and how long as she been laying? Have you picked her up and checked her feet?

It'd be a lot easier to just get human calcium citrate pills and just push one of those in her mouth each day, but I'm not sure if calcium deficiency is her issue if all you're going by is a single shellless egg. How old is she and how long as she been laying? Have you picked her up and checked her feet?
She’s just at 6 mo and has been laying eggs since mid Feb. I’ve checked her feet everyday since I noticed the limping and I don’t see anything obvious. No broken or discolored skin. No swelling that I can tell. She is a little lethargic. As I’ve already said, I’m new to chicken raising, which is why I’ve been asking everywhere I can think of, and the consensus has been calcium deficiency. But I am open to all recommendations. If there’s something else I need to check for, I’m all ears!

Since you already have the calcium for water you can try it (though I'd restrict it to only her usage) and see if that helps with the egg situation. For the limping... I don't know what calcium would do to help but it's hard to say what's wrong, especially if you've checked and haven't seen swelling, bumblefoot scabs, etc. If it's a joint issue it may be hard to diagnose but hopefully will clear up on its own with some rest.

I'd consider adding some Poultry Nutri-Drench to her water as well to help with the lethargy at least, she needs energy to continue to eat and drink.

T
Since you already have the calcium for water you can try it (though I'd restrict it to only her usage) and see if that helps with the egg situation. For the limping... I don't know what calcium would do to help but it's hard to say what's wrong, especially if you've checked and haven't seen swelling, bumblefoot scabs, etc. If it's a joint issue it may be hard to diagnose but hopefully will clear up on its own with some rest.

I'd consider adding some Poultry Nutri-Drench to her water as well to help with the lethargy at least, she needs energy to continue to eat and drink.
Thank you for the suggestion. My research has said that calcium depletion can cause leg problems as that’s where calcium is pulled from once they exhaust what they get from their diet. I’m just concerned because it seems like she’s very uncomfortable, and I want to help her quickly.

Thank you for the suggestion. My research has said that calcium depletion can cause leg problems as that’s where calcium is pulled from once they exhaust what they get from their diet. I’m just concerned because it seems like she’s very uncomfortable, and I want to help her quickly.
Well hopefully if that's the issue, you'll see improvement in the next week, maybe two. And then if calcium supplementing is still needed (i.e. she lays shellless or thinner shelled eggs without it, and isn't choosing to eat oyster shell on her own) then you might want to consider supplementing via tablet at that point, as that allows you to control the dosage much better.

Back
Top Bottom