California chicken enthusiests.. where do you get your birds?

Most of my birds are descendants of shipped eggs and the occasional "succumbing" <grin> to one or two day old chicks at the feed store.

My main chicken breed are Naked Necks/Turkens, also have a trio of Kraienkoppes and Blue Copper Marans plus silkies and showgirls.

Side projects are working on a line of blue/green egger Turkens, possibly a laced line. Got a pair of accidental Wyandotte crosses in a batch of shipped eggs.. hen appears to be cross with a BLR.. might be interesting to see if I can create laced birds out of them.

Have a whole bunch of peafowl in several different colors too- Opal, Bronze, Purple, etc.

wow! This is great! I'm going to compile a list of California people as they come in. Hopefully i'll get a decent list up in the next few weeks.. as soon as work dies down .
big_smile.png

Thanks to all the people who've chimed in so far!

Sure, Lee.. here's a picture:

OH! You meant peafowl..
wink.png
Here's a couple:

Baby Opal:

5756_opalbaby.jpg

Young Opal girl:

5756_opalhen.jpg

Pied Spalding peacock:

5756_piedspld.jpg

Close up of a Bronze tail:

5756_bronztail.jpg

It is hard to accurately capture how some of the colors look in person. Bronzes look a deep chocolate brown with quite a lot of shine(so shiny it reflects back to a brighter color to the camera). What I didn't know before getting mine, there is a rose colored ring around the eyes. Just can barely see them in picture.

Quote:
Awesome! A list would be great! I really want another Barred Rock. I lost my favorite girl and it hasn't been the same without her. I got all of my hens off of craigslist. You just have to watch out for disease and quarantine, but I have some really, nice well socialized birds.

Hi!

I agree, trying to find Chicken People, especially in So. Cal., is nearly impossible.

I raise Black Mottled, Blue Mottled & Mille Fleur D'Uccles.

DUccles11-4-5-7.jpg

King Arthur-Black Mottled D'Uccle

DUccles11-4-5-19.jpg

Miss Sparkle

11-18-07BlueMottled-MF003-1.jpg

Merlin-Blue Mottled D'Uccle

DUccles11-4-5-21.jpg

Blue Girl

I also have Red Bantam Cochin, Red/Gold Bantam Cochin & my Mille Fleur Cochin Project.

Red-RedGoldCochins001.jpg

Rocky- Red Cochin

RockyBuffy2-20-08001.jpg

Buffy-Red/Gold Bantam Cochin

MFLemonBlue-chaise002_edited.jpg

Diego-Mille Fleur Cochin Roo F1

Hillary-Bridget-Red-GoldCockerel-4.jpg

Bridget-Mille Fleur Cochin Hen F1

I'm also working on Lemon Blue Cochins in standard.

LemonBlueCochins001.jpg

Lemon Boy-Lemon Blue Cochin

LemonBlue007.jpg

Silver-Lemon Blue Cochin

LemonBlueCochins004.jpg

Lemon Blue Cochin Hen

I sell hatching eggs, baby chicks & mature birds. Looking forward to hearing from others here in California.

HI... im in yucca valley (30 miles north of palmsprings)

i got most of mine from either "IDEAL" or "MCmurray"... or hatched myself from eggs bought off E-bay
i have ..
st. blue cochins
cucoo marans.. need more of these
st. OEG.. thinking about selling these and buying REAL ameracaunas
and a whole bunch of pure and mixed breed st.and banties..
a few wild turkeys.. i need more of these.. 3 hens will do

Red Wing Hatchery in Lancaster is where one of the local feed stores, Midway City Feed, that I go to orders their chicks. They get them from there so they don't travel as far.

This is what you can find online about them: RED WING HATCHERY: A family farm hatching, and growing free range, heritage poultry since 1915. Birds are naturally breeding, no artificial insemination. This farm hatches on site and offers both pick-up and shipping/delivery. Fowl include, chickens, turkeys, guineas, geese, ducks etc... For more information, please call: 1-661-946-2830 or toll-free 1-866-888-8277. This farm is located in Lancaster, California.

The chicks looked good at the feed store at only a week old. I can't find a website for the hatchery.

Pupsnpullets mentioned Ham and Eggs Ranch in Norco. I know someone else who has used them for hatching eggs.

I'm in Riverside, Ca.

I've gotten birds from My Pet Chicken (Australorps, Easter Eggers, Delawares) and Craigslist (Turkens). All have been extremely sweet and, unfortunately, susceptible to Marek's and an as yet unknown problem (necropsy results pending on 2) that developed in the last 48 hours
sad.png
[They were supposed to be vaccinated]

I have a big order from Ideal and am poised to re-sterilize the coop daily. I have 1 Delaware hen left who is residing in my bathroom since it's been quite cold. She's very happy and social and enjoys tormenting my dogs. Hopefully she won't get sick and can go back out with the horses once my backyard is no longer 3'' deep in mud. (1 of my now deceased chickens (a Turken) actually got bogged down last week and I had to go pry her up out of the muck).

Back
Top Bottom