Call ducks

Sorry I keep forgetting to write something and keep making more posts

The hen in the pictures is caramel the brahma she was injured by are male and has been seperated for over a month we are going to start reintroducing her back to the flock we will pit the cage she is in at the moment in the main flocks pen so they can have sight and sound but not touch
Also the call ducklings are 5 days old now (hatched on Tuesday)

Out of 8 eggs 4 call ducklings hatched 2 died before hatching time and 2 had problems during hatching one was malpositioned and had a broken yoke (i wonder if it had 2 yokes) and the other had something wrong with it, their was nothing could have done and i have 5 call eggs that are on day 17
These are the ducklings spot, petunia, pip and lu lu (they hatched in that order)View attachment 3806951View attachment 3806953View attachment 3806954View attachment 3806955View attachment 3806956View attachment 3806957View attachment 3806958View attachment 3806959View attachment 3806960View attachment 3806962View attachment 3806963View attachment 3806964
Beautiful Babies!!!! The ones I got from Metzer Farms have larger bills than the ones you hatched out. They do that so that they are supposed to be able to hatch out easier since the short necks and bills make it difficult to hatch was what I understood from their description of theirs.

They do put them in the same box, but yeah, it has to be at the same time because even 2 weeks apart I had to separate them from 2 call ducklings because they were mean
I know for sure at 3 weeks that I have a drake and a Hen Call duck. The colors of the male and female Pastel colored Call ducks are totally different. The big one that I thought was a drake is getting the dark burgundy colored chest and the Hen is staying light colored. Can you tell by the colors of yours if you have Hens or Drakes? I knew I had one of each but this confirms it for sure.

I know for sure at 3 weeks that I have a drake and a Hen Call duck. The colors of the male and female Pastel colored Call ducks are totally different. The big one that I thought was a drake is getting the dark burgundy colored chest and the Hen is staying light colored. Can you tell by the colors of yours if you have Hens or Drakes? I knew I had one of each but this confirms it for sure.
For one no, because he's white, but for the other 2 kind of. They're not old enough to be in their full adult plumage but I think some of Lacie's head feathers are starting to be a shiny green

For one no, because he's white, but for the other 2 kind of. They're not old enough to be in their full adult plumage but I think some of Lacie's head feathers are starting to be a shiny green
All of my ducks that ever had any green on their heads were drakes. Some people though have had females with a green sheen to their heads, out of all the ones I have had though I never did. I hope that you end up with some Hens out of your group.

@Luv Ducks
Resized_20240423_093951.jpeg Resized_20240423_094147.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom