Calling all duck people, I need help!

BarnDoorClosed

Chirping
May 24, 2018
I let my babies out this morning to roam and all was good. Mid day I saw them both and one was winking at me, aww so cute, this a really long wink...wait a minute wth?? So she keeps her eyes squinted and its red on the inside rim , doesn't seem to be swollen, no discharge but her eye looks wet all around it. When I pick her up to inspect she keeps the eye closed. Looking in her eye I do not see a scratch or any debris. I wiped it off good with a warm cloth and put some contact solution to flush it. What else can I do, put on or in it, just wherebdobi go from here??? Its just the one eye effected. Anyone with experience with this or anyone with a opinion what it might be please leave comments below, THANK YOU in advance for any and all info!! Lovebug is a Pekin and 7 months old. She lives in the chicken coop with her sister wife/bff pekin girl. Lovebug #2(sister wife/bff) has no eye issue. They are in the coop at night and free range during the day. I clean their water pans throughout the yard daily with fresh water and they also have a kiddie pool in the coop. I have a picture of the gimp eye I will attach. The pic was before I wooed it off good. After wiping I checked her a few hours later and no change.

Attachments

• 20180924_145210.jpg
    20180924_145210.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 7
You may want to use some saline eye wash, not contact solution. You also can make saline by dissolving a teaspoonful of salt in a quart (32ounces) of water. Bring to a boil for a few minutes, then cool off to room temperature. Store in a clean canning jar.

Terramycin or Vetropolycin eye ointment would be good to use in the eye twice a day. I have used plain neosporin in a pinch. Also post on the duck forum for more help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/ducks.42/

Back
Top Bottom