Can 4 week old chicks share coop space with broody and her single chick?

SamCO

Songster
Mar 8, 2022
Northern Colorado
So I currently have 5 3.5 week old chicks in a brooder. We decided to let my broody Salmon Faverolles try to hatch chicks. Of the 7 eggs we let her set on, and after multiple deaths, she has one healthy chick That hatched 2 days ago. My dilemma is this- I have broody and her chick out in a sectioned off area within the coop. It has an area under the poop board that is inside the coop, and a seperate area within the covered run. I’d like to move my chicks out in a week or two into that space so that they can begin integrating with the flock.

Think it’s likely that they can share space peacefully with broody and her baby?

Anyone try this?

Pic of our first and only hatched chick. ❤️

Attachments

• 94BF6FB9-0130-4BD9-9475-CA53283EAF47.jpeg
    94BF6FB9-0130-4BD9-9475-CA53283EAF47.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 32
I wouldn't do it, the chances of the older chicks cannibalizing the lone chick is a real possibility. I accidentally made that mistake once. So I'm fore warning your thoughts on this.

It wouldn’t be look no touch with the broody and her chick. They would actually share the space but be seperate from the rest of the flock. I’m hoping the broody would protect her chick from the youngsters, but she’s so docile that maybe she’d be ok with the youngsters. Playing with fire?

Broody and the chick she hatched should be fine together, but the 2 of them should be in a look but don't touch with the other chicks. The only way around that would be if broody had already accepted the other chicks you have.

If your ok losing the lone chick because it was practical for you, then do it.
I’m absolutely not ok with this, hence why I am asking. Broodys raise chicks within the flock all the time, which is why I was wondering what that look like with older chicks. I’ll keep them seperate if needed, but no need to assume I’m ok with losing a chick because it’s practical. 😞

yeah, mid aged chicks are generally a bad idea in the coop around nesting boxes etc, theyll dig them up at the very least and older hens wont tolerate mid aged unsupervised chicks .. it will cause general chaos in the whole coop system lol .. only way that would work is to wire fence off a section to put just the chicks in ...

Back
Top Bottom