Can a chicken change her egg color?

MelissaMallard

Songster
Jul 7, 2017
I have an Easter Egger and 4 other hens. The EE is maybe 3 years old, we adopted her, so it's unknown. She had been laying beautiful green eggs consistently and then completely stopped. Our egg count has been pretty much the same though (I'm also not great at keeping track of this). I haven't seen a green egg in about 3 weeks, but today I saw her in the nesting box and decided to see what she had... she had a light brown/pink egg with white specks. Now this could absolutely be someone else's egg, but I got to wondering if this could be possible? She used to have an Americauna that laid the same color as her, but we lost her to a predator. Now she's surrounded by brown egg-laying hens... could this be a thing? I know it sounds ridiculous. I also don't know if she's been eating her eggs, I have found no evidence and no trace of green shells. She had been known to break them as she scooted the egg around under her.
Thank you for any help.

I have an Easter Egger and 4 other hens. The EE is maybe 3 years old, we adopted her, so it's unknown. She had been laying beautiful green eggs consistently and then completely stopped. Our egg count has been pretty much the same though (I'm also not great at keeping track of this). I haven't seen a green egg in about 3 weeks, but today I saw her in the nesting box and decided to see what she had... she had a light brown/pink egg with white specks. Now this could absolutely be someone else's egg, but I got to wondering if this could be possible? She used to have an Americauna that laid the same color as her, but we lost her to a predator. Now she's surrounded by brown egg-laying hens... could this be a thing? I know it sounds ridiculous. I also don't know if she's been eating her eggs, I have found no evidence and no trace of green shells. She had been known to break them as she scooted the egg around under her.
Thank you for any help.
**Update: A day after posting this she has finally laid an egg. It's a bit long and pointy, but it's green!

My hen was laying green eggs and now they are brown. She was in a pen with chicks so definitely hers. It’s a mystery!
It may be true,,, but there is always another possibility. I am speaking of funny things my family members are capable of doing. :gig:old.. Could it be that someone switched the egg just for FUN.
Of course if the eggs are all brown from now on,,, then it is possible the color change is due to particular diet.:idunno

OH,,, BroodyBecca,,,,,,,,,,,,:welcome

Only thing I've personally experienced, they eggs become lighter and lighter as they progress in age. My Koo koos as pullets layed the darkest richest deep brown on our farm. 4 yrs later, light brown. My Easters are not as bright. Except when I soak alfalfa pellets and free will feed em.. then the Easter eggs explode with brightness. The alfalfa won't bring back the deep brown though.

It may be true,,, but there is always another possibility. I am speaking of funny things my family members are capable of doing. :gig:old.. Could it be that someone switched the egg just for FUN.
Of course if the eggs are all brown from now on,,, then it is possible the color change is due to particular diet.:idunno

OH,,, BroodyBecca,,,,,,,,,,,,:welcome
Ha ha no it’s just me and my husband and he didn’t. I thought I’d worked out who lay what but this is definitely thrown me. The two brown hens laid green, the two speckled grey laid brown and Frida and the now deceased Florence laid pink. Well the brown hen was separated from the others rearing chicks and while I was away a lady looked after them. She didn’t open the roosting box mum and chicks used and I found eleven brown eggs! They should be green. Chicks aren’t old enough to lay. I’m not sure what happened 😜

You can see a difference in tone of eggs laid by the same hen but not the basic color. A blue or green egg is blue all the way through. If you crack the egg and look inside you seed the blue shell. Green is just brown deposited on top of the finished blue shell.

A white or brown egg is white all the way through. Again, if you crack the egg and look inside you see white. A brown egg has brown deposited on top of the white.

As with everything to do with chickens there can be an exception. Instead of pure white some hens lay an egg with a tint to the white. But it is a tint, clearly not blue. The way the eggs are made a hen cannot change the basic color of the egg she lays.

Back
Top Bottom