Can a hawk grab a duck and fly off?

Jmiller89

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
The other evening a hawk swooped at our birds. There were geese, guineas, and ducks out foraging together. I happened to be by a window and looked out when the hawk was coming because the guineas and geese started yelling. I think the only reason it didn’t get a duck (who were the slowest and in the back of the running birds) was because we have a couple LGD that got up with all the commotion and ran to the fence barking At the hawk. The hawk got about 6ft from the ground and then just flew off. But now I’m wondering if the hawk is strong enough to grab and go with the duck/guinea or would it kill on the ground?

Thats what I thought considering it got so close and then gave up. Not enough time to kill and eat with dogs around.

A mature duck/guinea fowl is too large for a hawk to carry off. Generally they kill and eat at the kill site. They are fully capable of killing mature birds - even a Cooper's hawk can kill mature fowl. Be on guard.

I saw what I thought was a owl under my van in the driveway. Then the next day he was sitting on a pole outside my living room. I believe I have a cooper hawk hanging around. I haven't seen him for a few days. My ducks are in the front of the house. Not sure how to get him to leave.

Attachments

• IMG_20201219_161853504_MP~2.jpg
    IMG_20201219_161853504_MP~2.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 20
I saw what I thought was a owl under my van in the driveway. Then the next day he was sitting on a pole outside my living room. I believe I have a cooper hawk hanging around. I haven't seen him for a few days. My ducks are in the front of the house. Not sure how to get him to leave.
He looks sick. :( Coopers Hawks are too small to carry away a full-grown duck, but they are capable of killing one.

I haven't seen him in a few days. Maybe he was sick and I don't need to worry about him.

A hawk killed two of my Appleyards. My wife scared off the hawk while on top of the last duck killed. One of the Appleyards was somewhat of a outcast of the flock and kept to herself, the other was coming in for the night. (BTW the ducks free range during the day and put up at night).

I do have blackbirds around that scare off most of the hawks, but I have taken to firing my shotgun at dusk into the ground. Keep in mind it is illegal to kill any raptor. I hope to make a few whirligigs in the shape of crows, and paint them black and place them on top of the barn.

Also, I am hatching some Cayuga, which are dark, and some people say black/dark color birds also help with the hawk problem.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I have coopers hawk around too. He come and tries to eat my chickens one or twice a week.

Back
Top Bottom