Can a rough rooster become a gentleman?

I have seven hens, all from the spring of 2015 plus two pullets in a separate pen from this spring.  The first rooster I agreed to rehome this spring made a nice smoked chicken salad.  The second is the boy who seems to be working out with the hens.  Both these roosters came to me due to a conversation I had at the feed store with a woman who lived in city limits and has discovered that two of her chicks were roosters.  This third cockerel belonged to the kids of one of my co-workers, he has a name and has been hand reared.  My co-worker knows that he may end up in the stewpot, but after a week of quaranteen he is now in with my two pullets and seems to be getting along just fine.  So, it is my emotional connection with the rooster's former owner that is making me consider keeping a second one.  He is younger and smaller than the one out with the hens.  All three are Easter Eggers.

I had two other messages on my cell phone yesterday from other people offering me three more roosters.  The word has gotten around in the backyard chicken community and I guess right now is about the time everyone's spring chicks are starting to crow.  I've told everyone else that I'll take them, but they will become dinner once they've matured a bit.  I'm planning on putting them out with my meat birds, who while younger, are heavier.
It can possibly work. Every rooster is different. I would let it play out and make that decision if and when it's needed. I've had some roosters that like their two or three hens and they liked him and did fine. A few worn feathers if it happens don't hurt anyone.

You are going to have lots of free chicken dinners and meet lots of roosters.
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom