can a silkie hatch moscovys ?

jayke563

Chirping
May 21, 2015
Northern Massachusetts
ok I want my silkie hen to hatch moscovy eggs but I have heard so much crap about how moscovys have to be incubated at 80% humitidy and then people say that is wrong what one is it!!!!! and how moscovy eggs are hard to hatch … can I let my chicken hatch moscovy eggs? will I get a good hatch rate ? has any one els done this if so plz tell me how thank u

I don't see why not. Lots of people use their chickens to hatch duck eggs, and they do just fine. Lots of other people hatch duck eggs in their 'bator using the dry hatch method (little to no water added the first 18 days) and they do just fine too. I say go for it :)

She shouldn't have any issues unless she decides to quit on you. Muscovies have a much longer incubation period than chicken eggs (35 days if I recall correctly which is two weeks longer than chickens). There's a possibility that might be a bit long for her. I would just have a backup incubation method to be on the safe side.
Also, if she has hatched chicks before, she may realize they aren't chicks and reject them. I attempted to get my broody hen to adopt a couple ducklings and she was not happy about it. You would think I put turtles under her or something the way she reacted. She had adopted chicks in the past and I ended up having to go find her chicks last minute this time, which she took without hesitation. Might be different if they actually hatched under her though...

She shouldn't have any issues unless she decides to quit on you. Muscovies have a much longer incubation period than chicken eggs (35 days if I recall correctly which is two weeks longer than chickens). There's a possibility that might be a bit long for her. I would just have a backup incubation method to be on the safe side.
Also, if she has hatched chicks before, she may realize they aren't chicks and reject them. I attempted to get my broody hen to adopt a couple ducklings and she was not happy about it. You would think I put turtles under her or something the way she reacted. She had adopted chicks in the past and I ended up having to go find her chicks last minute this time, which she took without hesitation. Might be different if they actually hatched under her though...
she has never been broody befor but for the past week she has been a hard core broody chicken so I think she will hatch them fine that u for the help

I had a bantam hatch Cayuga/mix eggs. when the ducks grew up they always give their mom a nod of respect, and you could see one duck saying to the other, "look, there's our mom!"

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom