Can anyone help me fix my toilet?

MamaRoo

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
A ferry ride away, WA
When you sit down, it kind of sounds like water running somewhere. I've tried putting dye in the tank, and nothing comes into the bowl. Any ideas about how to approach this?

No idea; but I hope someone with more knowledge will be along to answer your query

Could it be that the float inside the tank has gotten a little 'off' and (maybe) the toilet shifts just enough when you sit that the water starts going into the overflow???

You may be able to buy a ball at the local hardware store. Sometimes, in my experience, they become water logged (sometimes by a small pinhole that you don't see) and need to be replaced. They should just screw on and off. If it's the flapper, you may be able to buy a whole kit. Shouldn't be more the $15-20.

Yes, if the dye isn't going into the bowl, there is an overflow when the float ball doesn't behave that is probably releasing water into the drain.
Do you see a tube smack in the middle of the tank? It's about a inch in diameter.

it could be that it's not solidly mounted to the floor or the floor is a little wobbly and it may be causing the flapper or ball to move slightly to run just a little water gets out, I hope it's that or it might be time to tear out a wall...

I've not found visible leaks anywhere, and I had the plumbing under the house redone recently and specifically asked the guy to check for leaks. He said it all looks fine, so I'm going with the 'jiggly potty moving flapper' theory.
big_smile.png

Thanks everyone!

Sometimes the fill-valve will need to be adjusted / replaced the ball or float may be up just a tinny bit to high so when you sit on it you put slight pressure on the tank cover witch pushes down on the float causeing it to run.

Most fill valves have a "wash down tube" a 1/4 inch plastic or rubber hose that puts water directly into the bowl ( not thru the flapper/flush tower/rocker ) check to make sure that this is not passing water by flushing then waiting for the tank to fill 5 sec. - 45 sec. latter the tube should stop water flowing 100%

Is your tank bolted to the bowl tightly ( No movement between the two)

You don't by chance have a one piece toilet ( a low boy )

Back
Top Bottom