Can anyone help me?

barb s

Songster
10 Years
May 28, 2013
Columbia City area
I'm new to raising chickens and there are a lot of things I didn't think about when we purchased these chicks. Like what breed they were and what sex they are. They were so fluffy and cute I would have brought everyone of them home with me from the store with me if I could. Alas, I couldn't so I had the sales clerk pick 6 from two different totes for a total of 12 chicks. These chicks were purchased on April 11. I believe that they were about 2 weeks old at the time. The following week we purchased another 8 of which 4 are bantams. These I believe to also be about 2 weeks old at the time. Plus at the time I didn't really think of chickens as anything but a supply for fresh eggs. Man was I wrong. I am totally enthralled with my lovely birds. I call them my lovely ladies, but since I am not totally positive that they are all females, I probably should refrain from this until I know for sure so as not to offend any males that may be in the group.
We have 15 left of the original 20. (That's a whole different story.) I have 8 that look very much alike. I believe that a couple might be Orpingtons, I'm pretty sure 1 is a Gold Laced Wyandotte, and 2 might possibly be Black Stars. Of the 8 that look similar the biggest difference I notice in them is that a few are a lot darker what I would call a burnt orange color and have less white on them the the lighter colored ones. Of the 4 bantams that we have I am pretty sure 1 is a Silver Seabright and 1 is a Buff Brahma. The other 2 which are just alike, I have no idea.
We also have 6 chicks that are 3 weeks old. These I did a little better on finding out what they were. But there is 2 that I didn't ask about. They look pretty much alike. They're what I call a reddish blond. One is a little redder than the other and one has a almost blond head.
I have included some pictures that I hope will help. Thank you for any help you can give me. I apologize for drawing this out so long.

I'm new to raising chickens and there are a lot of things I didn't think about when we purchased these chicks. Like what breed they were and what sex they are. They were so fluffy and cute I would have brought everyone of them home with me from the store with me if I could. Alas, I couldn't so I had the sales clerk pick 6 from two different totes for a total of 12 chicks. These chicks were purchased on April 11. I believe that they were about 2 weeks old at the time. The following week we purchased another 8 of which 4 are bantams. These I believe to also be about 2 weeks old at the time. Plus at the time I didn't really think of chickens as anything but a supply for fresh eggs. Man was I wrong. I am totally enthralled with my lovely birds. I call them my lovely ladies, but since I am not totally positive that they are all females, I probably should refrain from this until I know for sure so as not to offend any males that may be in the group.
We have 15 left of the original 20. (That's a whole different story.) I have 8 that look very much alike. I believe that a couple might be Orpingtons, I'm pretty sure 1 is a Gold Laced Wyandotte, and 2 might possibly be Black Stars. Of the 8 that look similar the biggest difference I notice in them is that a few are a lot darker what I would call a burnt orange color and have less white on them the the lighter colored ones. Of the 4 bantams that we have I am pretty sure 1 is a Silver Seabright and 1 is a Buff Brahma. The other 2 which are just alike, I have no idea.
We also have 6 chicks that are 3 weeks old. These I did a little better on finding out what they were. But there is 2 that I didn't ask about. They look pretty much alike. They're what I call a reddish blond. One is a little redder than the other and one has a almost blond head.
I have included some pictures that I hope will help. Thank you for any help you can give me. I apologize for drawing this out so long.

This one below is the only male that I see. I am assuming he is also the on that is eating in the pic above.

This one below might be a male too but a better pic might help. The comb looks a bit big.

Thank you so much for your help. I really do appreciate it. And I will try posting some better pictures. I also have some pictures in an album that I have uploaded. Again thank you for your help

It looks like 1 could be an OEGB Im saying pullet 2 Australorp pullet 3 looks cockerel not sure on breed and the rest I am not sure
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom