Can anyone help with my duck?

Geordierox

In the Brooder
May 23, 2023
For the past couple of days we’ve noticed that our female duck, BeeBee has got a low belly but there has been no change in her behaviour, she’s still running and swimming and drinking like normal, she still comes running when she sees us come out into the garden, I have read up on Ascites and water belly however she doesn’t show any other symptoms so it’s very confusing, her belly has a brittle but soft kind of feel, I have felt an egg however unsure if she’s laying because we have two other females so the egg tracking is confusing for us, any suggestions on what we should do? There is a vet that can treat ducks but if anyone has any remedies or things to try to see if we can reduce it or relieve it?
IMG_8384.jpeg
Many thanks in advance!

:welcome it does look like fluid has accumulated in her lower belly. I have a couple of Runner females that look similar but not quite as full. So far I am adding dried Greek oregano and vit c to their feeding schedule. The vit C goes into their drinking water and the dried oregano is mixed into their feed daily. When I read up on Ascites this is what was rec.
No avian vets near me. So I have to be my own vet. If you have one you trust then maybe that should be the way to go at least for true diagnosis.
Please let us know.

:welcome it does look like fluid has accumulated in her lower belly. I have a couple of Runner females that look similar but not quite as full. So far I am adding dried Greek oregano and vit c to their feeding schedule. The vit C goes into their drinking water and the dried oregano is mixed into their feed daily. When I read up on Ascites this is what was rec.
No avian vets near me. So I have to be my own vet. If you have one you trust then maybe that should be the way to go at least for true diagnosis.
Please let us know.
Thank you so much for the welcome and a quick response! We were looking into adding vit c so I think that’s gonna be a way forward for a moment, if you don’t mind me asking what does the oregano do? I’m not as clued in on that side of things! 😊
I will most likely take her to the vet as it’s come on so quick and with the drake being as feisty as he is, I don’t want to take the chance of him damaging her, I shall let you know if and when we get the appointment, thank you so much again! ❤️

So an update! We took her to the vets today and turns out no fluid at all, she’s actually built up a supply of two not fully formed eggs, she’s now on a calcium supplement and she’s going back for a check up on Tuesday to see how she’s getting on, a calcium supplement has gone into their water supply just to help all the girls because if she’s getting egg problems then it’s more than likely the others will at some point too, updates as an when we get them!

Is the supplement calcium Gluconate? it will help move those eggs down and out. best to give it orally to the one having the problem. Wow she sure looked like she had ascites.

The vet has already administered an injection and sent us home with a big amount of Calcium Glucconate, so hopefully it does the trick! I’m in the same boat as you! I really was expecting the vet to say it was a fluid build up, amazing how her behaviour hasn’t changed at all, whereas another duck we had was lethargic and completely drained bless her! Will let you know how all gets on!

Back
Top Bottom