Can anyone tell me the breeds of my chickens

luvfurnfeathers

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 17, 2013
Hi
I live from northeast Pa.
I am married and have 2 dogs and 1 cat (2 rescues 1 stray) and now 4 hens and 1 rooster.

I am very new to raising chickens. Got a coop, fenced in a nice area for them, went to a friends farm and took 4 girls (all different breeds) and Rosco Jr the rooster who doesn't get along with the other roosters.

I have no idea on any of their breeds just that it was love at first sight. I got them in June and the summer went well, I had one sneezing and weezing last month ( she is the one that never lays eggs she may be to old), got on BYC and read up what could be wrong, got her on Tetroxy for 10 days and she is back to normal.

I have so much to learn about them, and every time I have a problem I get on BYC and seem to find the answer so I am finally decided to join.

I know I will be asking a lot of questions but my first one is can anyone tell me what breeds my chickens and rooster are? They lay tan to dark brown eggs.
thanks for any help and for all the help everyone has already given just by posting problems and answers, this is a great place to learn!

:welcome The red one on the roost looks like a red sex link, the black one maybe a black Australorp, the barred one in front is probably a barred rock, the yellow one is a buff Orpington, and the one in the back is ......seems like a Easter egger rooster to me, but I may be wrong there.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I think you should post clear pics of each in the What Breed Or Gender is This? section, so we can have a good look/guess :)

welcome-byc.gif
The red one on the roost looks like a red sex link, the black one maybe a black Australorp, the barred one in front is probably a barred rock, the yellow one is a buff Orpington, and the one in the back is ......seems like a Easter egger rooster to me, but I may be wrong there.
I agree, but the rooster doesn't seem like an EE to me... I could be wrong but..

welcome-byc.gif
The red one on the roost looks like a red sex link, the black one maybe a black Australorp, the barred one in front is probably a barred rock, the yellow one is a buff Orpington, and the one in the back is ......seems like a Easter egger rooster to me, but I may be wrong there.
Exactly what I was thinking.

thank you all for the help in my breed identification. I need to get better pictures of my rooster but everyone except the barred rock is in a full molt and not very attractive. I looked up pictures of all the names put out there and found I have a Red Sex Link, Australorp, Barred rock and Buff Orpington.
(Thats my girls
wee.gif
)

Thanks!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom