Can chickens be trained? Stupid rooster!

acissej

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Duvall, WA
We have 1 rooster and 5 hens. 2 of the hens are light brahmas and the other 3 are BOs. The rooster is supposed to be a BO too but I suspect he's not pure since his coloring is kind of off for a BO.

Well, I don't know where they all got the idea that we are all kinds of awesome, but they all come running up to us all eagerly when we go outside (we let them out to free range during the day). The rooster follows us almost more than the hens do. He seems friendly and curious about us, but the problem is that he will puff up and jump on us if we approach him at all. So what happens sometimes is that he follows us somewhere and then corners us so we absoutely can't move until he walks away. He is totally fine walking around us, but if we move toward him in any way he'll get all huffy. We can't try to shoo him away because that doesn't work at all, that actually makes it worse and he attacks. I'm pretty scared of him (he hits pretty hard when he jumps), and I'm REALLY afraid for my son, who's 3 1/2, to be outside without me being right there to interfere if necessary.

Is there anything we can do about this? Seriously though, if you don't want to be close to us, don't follow us!

Sounds like your rooster has you trained. The girls follow you because they think you are a treat god and their rooster... The rooster however... he does not like you at all. He is following you because he thinks he is boss and jumps on you to show you he is the boss. You can't let him get away with this aggressive behavior or he will think you are week and to be picked on. Instead, don't let him look at you in the eye, lunge at him, pick him up against his will and cuddle him to bits. Make sure you are boss and that he does not want to be around you because you will "beat" him up if he offends you.

However, with a 3 year old son... he might be best off in stew if you have let this behavior develop more than a few days.

RoosterRed, I think has a little write up somewhere on the forum about how to deal with aggressive roosters.

Quote:
*frowns at Silkie Chicken*

Unless the 3 year old goes in the yard unsupervised, I think my method should be tried first. *displays feathers cockily*
big_smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6305036#p6305036

@acissej
Since you live so close, you can come over for a demonstration.
smile.png
Send an email if you'd like.

Last edited:
It only takes a fraction of a second for a kid to have their eye damaged for life by an animal who has a tendency to show aggression towards humans. But I'm pretty hardened against butchering extra roosters since I don't have the time to rehabilitate dinner when a new one is about to hatch anyway. It's up to the OP what they are willing to risk.

Thanks KlaHaYa, I think we'll try that! We really do like him except for this bit of aggression (and he's really not THAT aggressive). Though I think he'll jump at us if we try your technique. What do I do when he jumps on us?

Last edited:
Quote:
I am a breeder of what most people would consider a very agressive breed of chicken....The American Gamefowl. This is true for some indifidual Roosters or Hens but not the breed overall. The reason a chicken, any chicken, attacks is because it feels threatened but not too threatend to run. If I have a rooster who like to attack people then I keep him away from people. This is a habit that I have never cured in any Rooster. Once a rooster veiws you as a threat, you will always be. I have found that making alot of noise to try to scare them off (as some would suggest) only feeds the idea that you are the enemy. Unfourtunatly you have to either put him away from people (as a breeding rooster) , endure the constant attacks or find somewhere for him to go (either the pot or a new home). This may be a fine rooster and very pretty but this behaviour will not stop. He has the postition of "guardian" over his hens and if they appear threatened or afriad he will either attack or lead them away. Some breeds of chickens are more agressive but BO are usually quite calm and docile. This is strange. Is it possible he saw you or one of the others chase or even catch a hen? OR maybe you or someone picked one up and it called out in destress? There had to be a trigger but like I said it is too late. The time has come to take action. A rooster with even small spurs can blind with one hit. I would remove him from free-range until I made a final descsion.

Hope that Helps...Best of Luck

Timothy in KY

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom