Can Chickens have mint?

familyfarm1

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 9, 2013
Northern Virginia
I am planning to plant spearmint, peppermint, catnip and lemon mint around the pen area. I don't plan on out right feeding it to the chickens, but would it hurt them if they pecked at it? Just curious :) thanks!

I am planning to plant spearmint, peppermint, catnip and lemon mint around the pen area. I don't plan on out right feeding it to the chickens, but would it hurt them if they pecked at it? Just curious
smile.png
thanks!

I have all of the above including orange mint and chocolate mint as well as other herbs planted all around the yard where the chickens go, have for several years, and no problems. I haven't really noticed the chickens picking at the mint but I do notice they peck at some of the herbs with no problems.

I am planning to plant spearmint, peppermint, catnip and lemon mint around the pen area. I don't plan on out right feeding it to the chickens, but would it hurt them if they pecked at it? Just curious
smile.png
thanks!

I had that stuff plus licorice and chives planted all over where chickens go. They lay in it, run over it, dig it up but they are not interested in eating it.
smile.png

I've had lemon mint and basil planted right nest to each other and the chickens ignored the lemon mint and devoured the basil. Either way, they rub up against these plants and end up smelling wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom