Can chicks eat too many Japanese beetles? Not enough crumbles?

My girls are soooo addicted to J. B.'s (as we call them) aka: Japanese Beetles, that I hope they have reduced next year's local population. Those beetles have destroyed our grape vines, elderberry shrubs and plum trees.This is out and out war! I figure the extra protein and minerals from the beetles must be good for them. These pullets are happy and healthy. However, what to do once winter arrives? Should I be switching their diet to more carbs? They will be on Layer mash soon but what should I add for those coming cold months here in Maine?

I intentionally hung the beetle traps at chicken level. When the beetles were swarming, the girls would stand there and eat them out of the air and when they landed on our near the trap. I swear I used no feed for two weeks!

If they were bad for the birds, the birds would know far better than you, and wouldn't eat them. These things weren't getting fed treats and scratch grains and medicated feed 300+ years ago and somehow seemed to survive and thrive on insects and vegetation. Quit worrying about it so much and let 'em do what they do (the chickens).

I appreciate the thoughts, and thanks for the links! You are good on the googling.
smile.png

The beetle traps are slowing down for this year and I think my son has decided to just give them as treats. He has the ration all figured out, and then usually has to cut them back at the end so they don't go over weight.

Next year we can evaluate before i dump so many bugs.
I put a little cooking oil in a container and put the Japanese beetles into it (shake them off the tree or plant into the container) and then I dump them in the chicken run. They love them.

I intentionally hung the beetle traps at chicken level. When the beetles were swarming, the girls would stand there and eat them out of the air and when they landed on our near the trap. I swear I used no feed for two weeks!
I catch the beetles in containers with cooking oils - then I dump them in with the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom