Can first generation silkie cross chicks have silkie feathering?

lncrane08

Chirping
Apr 10, 2017
FE970E38-35AC-4BF0-A1B0-CB7C8EBE0C72.jpeg
EB6ED4EB-2C71-49B6-B3DC-D9B5A5AF26ED.jpeg
F96B0E74-E3E7-447A-B96C-F4C3CF7C592E.jpeg
0DCED348-0571-4902-AE93-C4377E1B636A.jpeg
Can first generation silkie cross chicks have silkie feathering?

So this chick was a surprise hence her name SURI. My white silkie roo was about 8mos and was taken by a fox the day this chick popped out of an egg from under my broody silkie frizzle girl. I had tried everything to break her, and even had taken the eggs from her but somehow missed this little ones egg. I didn’t think any of my girls eggs were fertile due to the fact I have only seen him mount one hen (a cuckoo silkie).
The cuckoo silkie hen had been broody and hatched out 4 chicks (from my friends fertile eggs I put under her) about 3wks prior to this so she hasn’t laid a single egg in over 2mos.
The white silkie roo runs with 3 young hens that all just started laying (golden lace wydonette, buff Orpington, and grey amerucana). And one 2yo blue frizzle silkie. So all theIr eggs were a similar size (silkie size) albeit different colors. I thought this chick was from the buff Orpington egg, because the blue frizzle actually picks on the white rooster.

But this chick has the silkie type feathering. So it possible to get silkie type feathering in the first generation from a Orpington x Silkie cross? The chick has four toes, feathering on feet, mostly black skin (notice the pink toes and pink edge of beak), and silkie feather type. Mind you my white roo has a red comb and LIGHT eyes. So I know he also carried pigment hole gene. Is this chick a silkie cross or a pure silkie? I’m so confused!!

All my first gens were smooth. Your chick also doesn’t appear to have the extra toes

on cross m
The Silkie feathering is recessive so in a first generation cross where only one parent has the gene the chicks will be smooth feathered.

Thanks so much to all of you replying! Y’all are so knkwledgable. I guess I now know who the mother is!! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom