Can Guineas fly???? And other questions...

Ok thanks 4H,,,I don't know how I will seperate them as they stick pretty close together but I will manage somehow to get just one out. Good idea, I am glad you replied!

I have guineas coming in about 4 weeks. I have kept them before and I think they are of real value around our place. They run off snakes really good and we have a real problem with scorpians here in central Texas and guineas are scorpians worst enemy. The thing that was really hard on my last bunch were owls. I lost more guineas to owls than anything else.

No kidding, they even eat scorpions? I think I am going to like having these Guineas. Of course we do not have scorpions in New England but we have tons of bugs and snakes in the summer. They seem pretty self sufficient and every morning I have been hearing an owl off in the woods. That's why when I do let them out I want them to return to their pen at night. They sleep outside and I can not get them in the coop for nothing. I go out at 4am in the pitch black to feed everyone as I leave for work at 5am and I can see them on the ground, they do not even use the roost I put in there for them. Odd birds for sure.

I have a silkie who went broody so I put 12 guinea eggs under her. The eggs are small so she could handle them and 11 hatched. I have always heard from the old timers that if you let a hen hatch them, they will stay on your property and be very happy hanging out with chickens. They are now a couple months old and are running around the yard during the day with their surrogate silkie mother when I am home. They are very friendly and come running up to me like dogs when they see me but they will not let me pet them. They will eat out of my hand and they only do this because I hand fed them mashed up boiled egg until just recently. I do this with all of my baby birds and it seems to help.

Ours were like pets more than just a wandering fowl.

Best advice if you want to give them a fulfilling happy life, give them an ideal environment because it has everything to do with their Mental / Physical health.
Here are some tips to help keep them happy and still keep them around without them wandering away.
I have had experience with these fowl for 6 and a half years before we donated them to the Buffalo reserve in Tupelo Mississippi in 2004.

#1 Caged or Contained guineas are generally not known to have long lives, they are free rang fowl who need the extra space at all times "unlike most chicken who seem not to care" They should be allowed to move around your property which should be a decent size as they love space, neighborhoods are not a good idea unless they like the morning call and them
wandering into their yards which they can and will do. Our neighbors loved them as it was extra company and they loved to eat bugs while the neighbors gardened which help them a lot to keep pests away.

#2 They are best in numbers between 3 - 8 if you raise them together.
Always have at least one male to keep an eye on the females and keep them together.

#3 Do not be distant to accompanying them when they are young, you want them to normalize a relationship with you also they need to get out and learn the area they will be raised and live in, also it helps to build a bond with the group, be careful though and always keep a close eye on them as they can wander and get lost, other things like a snake or hawk could get them since they are very small and an easy target at youth.

#4 They are ok with chickens but i do not recommend caging them together at all, and as i said before they need space at all times.

# 5 I prefered feeding them grains, as it was high in protein and they really liked it, crushed corn was
not a hot pick for them as they mostly neglected it seeing it
was more of a filler than a fuel. They get a lot of their source nutrients from bugs and so forth. So do not use chems to repel bugs around the property.
"they have your back on that issue"

# 6 Do not expect the male to be sweet 24/7, if he does not want you close do not force it, let him come to you
"they are not cats or dogs"
Females are the sweeter bunch, they are not as aggressive as the male and once they get used to you they are much more prone to getting close, and possibly influencing the male into lingering close as well. The whole relationship works like a pendulum with them in a weird way.

# 7 Yes they can fly but they prefer to run, at night they retreat up into a tree or on top of a roof. Good thing since they
do not see well at night and that is an easy target for predators.

# 8 They like fields but also need tree's and bushes to retreat from the sun and hide at night. A little pond never hurts as it attracts insects and provides constant drinking water. If you have one make sure it's not standing water, use a pump or fountain.

Last edited:
I have 8 chickens and 3 Guineas. The other day I had the chickens and George( my male guinea )in the unfinished run. I needed to clean the coop. The two female Guineas have not been outside yet so did not want to come out just quite yet. Well the one female guinea was not having it and flew right at my head. I ducked and she went right out the door to our large pasture.

I had an oh crap moment because I knew I would not be able to catch her. As soon as she saw her chickens and Gerorge she booked it towards them. I opened the door to the run and one of the chickens jumped out to show her how to get inside.

I thought they would fly away at first but they are better behaved then my cooks. They even went into the coop by themselves when I said everyone in. Love my Guineas.

We have five 6 mo old chickens - 1 cockerel and 4 pullets. We also have two (remaining of four) guineas we bought when they we about 4 mo old, so they are about 7 mo old now. We thought they were both female but turns out one is a male. They roosted in a large tree until several days ago when they suddenly started roosting on the picnic table then on the ground last night. For reference, it is June in Central Texas and temps have been in the triple digits. (Side note: The boy Guinea terrorizes the cockerel to the point of drawing blood.) NOW…we also have six keets that are about five weeks old. The keets have been sleeping in the kennel we brought them home in but it’s starting to get too small. During the day we hook the kennel up to a covered play pen in the yard and this is working working well. We have a 2-story deck area where I would like to put their kennel because eventually I want it to be their roost area so I can be assured they are sheltered from rain and cold when they can no longer fit in the kennel. I hate having to carry them up and down the stairs 2X/day until they are big enough to fly or walk up/down on their own but I don’t a better way to insure they know where to come home every night. Any feedback or suggestions are welcomed.

we also have six keets that are about five weeks old. I hate having to carry them up and down the stairs 2X/day until they are big enough to fly or walk up/down on their own
My keets start flying when they are 2 weeks old. At 5 weeks old your keets are capable of flying or walking on their own.

Teach them to be herded or to come to a call and let them move themselves.

Thanks @R2elk. They are starting to flap their wings and make short hopping flights. They are too small to walk up the steps but scatter like marbles when I try to get them down. I haven’t learned good guinea herding skills yet! I call them my Bonehead babies but maybe I’m the bonehead!!

Thanks @R2elk. They are starting to flap their wings and make short hopping flights. They are too small to walk up the steps but scatter like marbles when I try to get them down. I haven’t learned good guinea herding skills yet! I call them my Bonehead babies but maybe I’m the bonehead!!
Herding requires patience and persistence. You must go at their pace. At first I use two long sticks, one for each hand. Go slow.

Back
Top Bottom