Can I Bring my puppy Argentino Dogo Dog in coop

Evolvingspirit

Chirping
Oct 19, 2021
My Friend said that I should train my puppy dog, which is a hunter And supposedly a hearder. This dog has the strongest jaw
of all dogs and can even hunt down mountain lions. I've taken him into the Pen area which has ducks and chickens. He chases them around a little bit and does not seem to want to hurt them. It seems like hes just curious. He enjoys going into the pen. I'm not sure if I should continue this As maybe he would protect the flock in the future ?
Blessings
Stewart

I always bring puppies out with me for all my animal chores. They go right into the coop with me, they're there when I'm working with horses, goats, poultry etc.
But it's very very important to keep them behaved. You can use a leash at first if necessary and keep part of your attention on the puppy at all times. Make sure you let them know what's good behavior and bad. Never ever let them chase at all ever. If your puppy is already trying to chase, your job of training is already harder. 2

I am not very familiar with that breed but with any breed curiosity turns to biting which turns to eating. Do some research and maybe find a professional trainer. Friends mean well but they don't always know best. Once your dog kills one chicken it will want to kill more and that's not a thing you can untrain.

I have a 2 year old German shepherd. He iis my helper to push the chickens out of areas or round them up. He is allowed to circle them, but never allowed to touch or physically interact with the chickens. He holds my meat birds in their coup when the door stays open for me to feed and water them.
I know my females and even my roosters were around him from the day they arrived at home, but he was severely repremanded for physical touch of the chicks. He was allowed to sniff and pace, but never allowed to move erratically until I was confident in the dog to obey commands. His movements now are smooth and intentional around his flock. His point in being around is strictly work. He isn't around them unless he is actively working them.

The dogo argentino is a wonderful dog, but as with all dogs his size and breed type, he needs a job specific to his skills. His interactions with the chickens cannot be play, as he will instinctivly fall into prey drive. His frustration and prey drive need to be controlled by you into something helpful and fulfilling to him because he will find something self fulfilling to do, unless you find something that you can praise him for. Ensure that your praise and acceptance of his actions are more important to recieve than his own self fulfilling actions

I have a Britany Spaniel named Winchester who turned a year in May and he’s very good to the bantam chickens I have. His little tail wags so fast when he’s around them. He is from champion hunting blood lines and the breeder he came from has hundreds of awards. So even a bird dog can get alone with your flock if you keep a close eye on them. You know your dog best. My dog wouldn’t ever hurt the chickens.
But just like people even animals can be unpredictable.

Back
Top Bottom