Can I Get My Broody Silkie to Care for 1 week old Chicks?

thecreekhouse

Songster
Feb 26, 2015
East Tennessee
Hi. I have a 6 or 7 month old Silkie who appears to have gone broody. I also have 3 chicks - a white Leghorn, a Rhode Island Red and an Easter Egger - all 8 or 9 days old. Currently I have the chicks in a brooder with a heat lamp inside our house but I’m wondering whether it’s possible that I could hand the chicks over to my Silkie. What do you think? Crazy idea?

Hi. I have a 6 or 7 month old Silkie who appears to have gone broody. I also have 3 chicks - a white Leghorn, a Rhode Island Red and an Easter Egger - all 8 or 9 days old. Currently I have the chicks in a brooder with a heat lamp inside our house but I’m wondering whether it’s possible that I could hand the chicks over to my Silkie. What do you think? Crazy idea?
I have placed week old chicks under a broody with success however the hen must have been broody for at least a week. Much less than a week the hen may decide to protect her nest and kill the chicks.

"...appears to have gone broody..." Do not give the chicks to this hen. Or if you take the chance be sure to observe the family for an extended time. Chicks are usually put under the hen after dark.

I have placed week old chicks under a broody with success however the hen must have been broody for at least a week. Much less than a week the hen may decide to protect her nest and kill the chicks.

"...appears to have gone broody..." Do not give the chicks to this hen. Or if you take the chance be sure to observe the family for an extended time. Chicks are usually put under the hen after dark.

X2

We successfully put 5 day old chicks under s broody (at night in the dark). She has been broody for about 3weeks prior to getting the chicks. Not sure how 8-9 day old chicks would be.

If it’s cold and dark they are going to cuddle under her.
I’ve alway put young chicks under a hen that’s been broody three weeks.
Usually the chicks are the problem not the hen.

Back
Top Bottom