Can I Give Chicks Sulmet? Please help!

iluvorpingtons

Songster
7 Years
Sep 22, 2012
Backstage
A few days ago I noticed smears of blood in some of my chicks droppings. We had 2 Rhode Island Reds, 4 Silkies, and 1 Maran, all together in the same box. One of the Rhode Island Reds died just a day or so before we noticed blood specks in the poop. It was very fast -- the chick just became super lethargic one morning and within minutes it convulsed and died.

I thought it may have been coccidiosis because of the blood in the poop. They have been eating medicated feed since they came home, but the silkies were vaccinated so now I am worried that the medicated food is cancelling out the vaccine. The others were unvaccinated.

I went to our Feed Store and the only medicine that said it specifically treated coccidiosis was Sulmet. One of the people working there told us not to use it because the chicks are too young (they're about two weeks old at the moment).

Can we dilute the Sulmet and use it anyway? Are there any home remedies we can try? I REALLY don't want to lose any more babies. Please help!!!

It's been days, still blood in poop?...And was it in ALL the baby's poop or don't you know?...And has the blood in poop continued or was only that one day?...If gone, that one had an issue, the rest will probably be fine, I believe we've seen that play out here many times....

Back
Top Bottom