Can I mix baby chicks

Athena116699

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
I have 6 chicks and want to get a couple more and need to know if I can mix new babies with my three week old ones? Also, how old are they when you can let them go out to the coop, the brooder is getting small for them...what is the routine for the inbetween from brooder to the coop house? thank you for reading

If there are no big birds in the coop and you can get electric to it you can put them out there any time. Mine go out as soon as they come out of the hatcher.
If the space is tight I wouldn't put them together. If they have room, like in the coop, you can put them together now.

These are 4 weeks apart.

I have 6 chicks and want to get a couple more and need to know if I can mix new babies with my three week old ones? Also, how old are they when you can let them go out to the coop, the brooder is getting small for them...what is the routine for the inbetween from brooder to the coop house? thank you for reading

To clarify regarding the older birds, do you have three one week old chicks or are the older ones three weeks old? If they are only a week old you should have no problem popping a couple more chicks in with them, I do it all the time. However if they are three weeks old there will be quite a size difference and it might not be safe for the youngest ones.

My babies are a little over three weeks now. I would also like to ask ...I heard wasp don't fly at night, we could knock down the wasp nest at night and stomp them? The coop is full of wasp nest. The girl that is renting us our home had 37 chickens in there and she said they just eat them. I don't feel safe with my babies...or myself.

The wasps won't hurt the chickens but they may buzz you. They don't fly at night. I would use Spectracide Wasp and Hornet Killer. It takes them right out of the air. You can go in at night with a flashlight and spray down the nest. Most other brands don't have the same fire power.

I wouldn't recommend it but if you use a pesticide to kill them make sure to remove the dead ones and the nest from the coop. I would worry about the fumes. Knocking down and stomping or smashing them with something would be my plan.

Last edited:
put a bag over the wasp nest at night! and knock the nest into the bag If You use a plastic bag seal it up and after the wasp are dead feed your girls a treat! Then buy some screen and put over the places the wasp are coming in at!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom