Can I put my grown quail in with peeps?

Can I put 1 adult quail in with 20 peeps?

• Yes.. it will be ok

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No bad idea

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

MrsTalon

In the Brooder
May 13, 2018
I have a 6 or 7 week old Quail and a bunch of 2 week old quail... can I put the older Quail in with the peeps? The older quail has been raised in the same coop as my chicken peeps and i would like to put him in with his own kind but I'm not sure how it would do with the babys? Will it be ok ? Or No?

Regardless of age, I'd be a bit worried that the one has shared space with chickens; the two can share diseases that I've read are especially hard on quail. Two weeks also sounds a bit young to integrate, if only because of the size difference and potential for injury to the chicks.

When you say "him" I think trouble is coming if you combine them. He is probably already coming into sexual maturity which will mean chasing, mating, and probably killing. I'd wait until your babies are mature and then integrate them depending on your male/female ratio.

Related to le_bwah's comment, you would do well to isolate the older one for a couple of weeks before integrating to check for disease. Expect lots of crowing from a lone male.

Back
Top Bottom