Can I save two days worth of eggs before incubation?

Zombre23

Hatching
Oct 4, 2023
Hey all!

Really dumb question here. My flock produces about 9-14 eggs a day. I’d like to fill the incubator but that’s two day’s worth of eggs. Can I save day 1 eggs on the counter (75-78 degrees) in a carton, and then collect the next day’s batch to put them all in the incubator together at the same time to start incubating the same day? Or will it throw off my hatch times?

Thanks from a hatching newbie !

Can I save day 1 eggs on the counter (75-78 degrees) in a carton, and then collect the next day’s batch to put them all in the incubator together at the same time to start incubating the same day? Or will it throw off my hatch times?
Hi, hope you're enjoying BYC! :frow

You can collect easily for up to a week.. after about 10 days is when viability starts to drop SOME.. I've set eggs over two weeks old and still had high hatch rates.

Ambient temperature and humidity do effect how long storage time is okay for.

When you set them.. doing so all at the same time is what will keep your hatch frame tight.

In nature.. most hens (depending on species) lay a clutch (or collection) of eggs.. before they start to sit on them for hatching. So it's *kinda* natural (the collection process)..

A link to one of my favorite incubation and hatching resources.. it's kinda technical but also interesting, if you're interested..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

Happy hatching! :jumpy :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom