Can nature take it's course?

Co-broodys does not usually work. I did not catch these two girls sharing a nest until this nasty cold hit. I knew the one was in sitting on eggs then I realized one was missing. Dang if she wasn't in the same nest. I decided to leave them be until this awful cold moved out again. Now that the chicks are starting to hatch and its still bloody cold I've left them for now because if one leaves the nest the chicks climb under the other hen for warmth.

There is a moral to this story, don't get so busy you don't catch small things like this it could be disaterous. But I do have just Silkies and that does go a long way for why this is working out so far.

Quote:
That is what I was afraid of. I was thinking I would put the bantam in the dog crate and just leave Buffy out with the flock and see what she does. (Since the bantam was the first to go broody and seems to rule the nest)

Quote:
Twinkie!! what a great name!!

this is my now broody Yellow Butt getting all poofed up for a pic, she wasn't too happy that i was so close.

P4100069.jpg

yes she is an Australorp & she does growl! its so weird. It seems really prehistoric to me for some reason!

I'm letting her set on 4 eggs. 3 brown one blue
smile.png
I've already got two teen aged BB reds and 4 chicks in the house, can't have too many more!!

This is my first experience with a REALLY broody hen. I tried moving her but then she wouldn't set on the eggs, I put her back in the regular coop & there she goes again! so I'm just gonna let her sit on them in there.

i really like the part where she'll take care of the chickees
smile.png

Last edited:
That's what I did with my first batch, but now they're due in a few days and I realize that as the chicks hatch and move around they are going to fall from the nesting boxes.

I am going to move Twinkie and her eggs to a more suitable spot tonight while she is sleeping - got lots of advice from everyone on this forum!!!

Keep your fingers crossed that she doesn't abandon the eggs at that point!!!

We have an Australorp hen as well. She is beautiful and extremely tame, but not interested in brooding eggs. Don't you just love their huge eyes!!!

Back
Top Bottom