can pigeons and ducks live together?

tadpole98

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Missouri
I am planning on building an aviary for my ducks and think it would be neat to have some pigeons in there too. It will be 12' by 12' and 6 feet tall. there will be a 6' by 6' pool in there that will have to be their main source of water. Would they drink out of that?

Also, Can ducks and pigeons eat the same thing? If not I would gladly hook up a little feeder for the pigeons out of the ducks reach.

I would get a pair of pigeons, and their ''house" would be 4 feet off the ground. which would mainly be a square box with an opening for them to nest in and such..

Yes but it needs to be completely covered with a soft netting
They can drink out of the pool but I'd also put 1-2 clean waterers on the sides out of the ducks reach
Pigeons need pigeon food
If you want pigeons then you need lots of roosting spots (trees, sticks), ledges (pieces of 2x4 cut on the side - pigeons Like to lay down too), and several nest boxes (not required but they like to choose their own nesting box and sometimes it's not where you want it ;p )
You don't want frill backs, fantails, etc. if you want them to co-inhabit you will need them to be able to fly well.
And they will breed, fast. You'll want to use some dummy eggs from then and now (if you never let them breed they'll freak and try over and over and over)
Pigeons life -
'Born'
'Eat, eat and eat'
'Fly, eat some more'
'Eat, fine a mate'
'Breed. Breed breed'
'Die'
They pretty much have a sole purpose to eat and breed

Several pairs can live in an aviary, but you don't want brother sister mating (50% of clutches will be a male and a female) so you may have to invest in more pigeons or sell them.

Best of luck!

Thank you, very helpful. We would have lots of roosting spots around the aviary, some up high some down low (for ducks and others for the pigeons)

Good info already given. But it will be a big vector for disease to enter/spread. Keep bleach in any water shared, and hope for the best. Ducks like wet, and make wet, pigeons need dry, to keep disease to a minimum. And depending on the breed, most ducks don't roost.

Sounds good.
If you need more info you can go to www.pigeons.biz/forums/ (if you don't have the /forums/ then it leads you to some where else)
Otherwise There's several pigeon-knowers here ^^
Thank you!

Good info already given. But it will be a big vector for disease to enter/spread. Keep bleach in any water shared, and hope for the best. Ducks like wet, and make wet, pigeons need dry, to keep disease to a minimum. And depending on the breed, most ducks don't roost.
I didn't think of diseases. I am getting a mandarin pair so I know those roost. That's why the roosts. :)

Might just have to build a separate aviary for the pigeons!

Back
Top Bottom