can runners "have babies"

688peterl

Songster
10 Years
Oct 2, 2009
ducks are so confusing, i know that the male and female do the dirty which results in a fertile egg.. but does the female not sit on the egg (in runners i mean) i cant remember where but im sure i heard that somewhere, so if my 2 turn out to be girl/boy, she will lay fertile eggs but not try to hatch them? oh and the seller i bought them from only had one drake that means they are half brother/sister if they are boy girl so the offspring will look like and octopus or something, if i want more eggs should i just but them from ebay again?

Im pretty sure I read that ducks are not a species you have to worry about inbreeding unless you are doing it for lots of generations. And i think i also read that runners on not your typical broody, but it doesnt mean they cant go broody. I guess it would probably depend on your duck...but Im sure some runners do go broody. But im no expert but im pretty sure i read that.

You're probably thinking of this thread, which talks about breeding parents to children. I've done some pretty heavy linebreeding before, myself, but have never mated siblings since the results aren't as predictable, trait-wise. They definitely wouldn't look like octopuses, though. LOL

On the other hand, they may not be the opposite sex... anybody's voice breaking yet? I'd be expecting little quacks to slip out of females every now and then at about the feathering stage they're at right now. It happens pretty early for the girls, the boys peep for much longer. How old are they again?

Your gal should sit on her eggs. Ive never had a runner female but i know some people that have had their runners go broody.

As far as it being brother to sister , thats not really a big deal. You nly have to start worrying about the eighth or so generation.

Quote:
yeah i have heard quacking from both of them so fingers crossed they are both girls! how lucky would that be!

I have had two broody runners . . . they decided to sit at the same time. They had small clutches (about 4 eggs each) and were very good at sitting. However, I personally think they sucked at mothering once the ducklings hatched and I had to take over a little bit for a while.
hmm.png
Worth trying.

Back
Top Bottom