Can Snakes Climb Hardware Cloth?

Really? What kind? :pop

Several baby Garter snakes got into the run and coop over the past month, slipping through 1/2 inch hardware cloth. I'm getting 1/4 inch cloth this week and will cover 2 foot high up the run to prevent this from happening again, especially to keep out rattlers.

Wow, thank you all for your complements, comments and suggestions, you guys are fabulous! :bow :clap :hugs

I never thought baby mice could fit through 1/2 inch hardware cloth but they do as well! They used to get in and scurry into the coop as too but I have since put a stop to them entering the coop. But they still do occasionally get into the run at night I am sure.

As for the rocks along the outside, Lizards love to hang out there in the summer basking themselves in the heat and the smaller Lizards can also squeeze through the cloth too. (Had I known all these things could get in, I would have originally used 1/4 inch cloth!! :barnie) This is how I first saw a small snake get in through the wire, I was sitting with a chicken on my lap in the coop and I heard all this clawing at the wire on the outside of the run, there I saw a Lizard running for it's life coming into the run with a snake in hot pursuit! So no doubt yes, the snakes find these rocks appealing to hang out in.

Also, something else I changed up early last year, Feb., 2017. I switched from sand to wood mulch. Sand was SO dirty and the clean freak than I am, :lol: I couldn't take the dust anymore. Wood mulch is SO much cleaner, warmer in the winter, smells good, just an all around nice bedding. I keep a big pile behind the coop and THIS is what I suspect attracts snakes. Obviously these babies were just born in July or Aug, and are now looking for winter hideouts. My coop and run smell just like this mulch and appears to them to be a perfect place to hibernate out of the weather. Snakes love to den up together, last thing I need is for the baby Rattlers to join in! :barnie (Fortunately Rattlers are pretty rare at this altitude of 7,000 feet and cold winters, but we do see Prairie Rattlers on occasion).

The "screen" idea that @MissChick@dee mentioned isn't a bad idea, but if they can climb Tarpaulins like @Shadrach mentioned, maybe this won't work? I need to watch the video that @coach723 left for me. And thank you @Evelyn's Mom for all the valuable info on Garter snakes! And thank you to the rest of you, you guys gave me the support I was looking for!! :hugs

I will stew on this and let you know what conclusions and actions I take to solve this issue!! We are expecting HIGHS in the 30's next week, snow too, so most of these snakes should be burrowed up somewhere by now or soon! (yeah, in my mulch pile and hidden in the bedding of the coop, run, under the nest boxes. :oops:)

Thank you again to ALL of you!!! :)
they can co-laps their ribs

Several baby Garter snakes got into the run and coop over the past month, slipping through 1/2 inch hardware cloth. I'm getting 1/4 inch cloth this week and will cover 2 foot high up the run to prevent this from happening again, especially to keep out rattlers.
Did they eat and eggs or chicks? I hope not. :fl

Did they eat and eggs or chicks? I hope not. :fl

Larger snakes will eat chicks and eggs. These tiny things that were getting in my run aren't anything more than a nuisance. But it just brought to my attention that baby Rattlers can also get in and baby Rattlers are worse than adults when it comes to venom. I've never had this trouble in all these years, for some reason this was a banner year for baby Garter snakes!

I found this the other day. :D Little baby gopher snake. :love
DSCN0048 (Large).JPG

I think any snake can climb up a pole, shed wall, or tree.
I've seen rattlesnakes climb up in mesquite trees on my place...not that unusual but pretty disturbing! They have actually climbed up above the HC around the bottom 2' of my pens and got into the pen through 1" square welded wire. After mice and not my birds but still. :eek:

I think any snake can climb up a pole, shed wall, or tree.
I've seen rattlesnakes climb up in mesquite trees on my place...not that unusual but pretty disturbing! They have actually climbed up above the HC around the bottom 2' of my pens and got into the pen through 1" square welded wire. After mice and not my birds but still. :eek:

Snakes sure get everywhere! Their main food on the menu is mice, which of course go hand in hand with poultry. But if course eggs and chicks will do if no mice are around!

IMG_0911.GIF
SNAKES!!!

Back
Top Bottom