Can someone ID this chicken for me?

PeepsCA

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 28, 2011
BFE, CA
It showed up out of nowhere and ended up squeezing into my Turkey pen back in mid-Feb. I have no close neighbors, so I have NO idea how this bird found it's way here. When I found it it looked like it was maybe 2 weeks old, tops, so I'm figuring it's somewhere around 4.5-5 months old now. Hasn't crowed yet, but fights with my Silkie Roosters
roll.png
, so I'm assuming it's a cockerel?

I'm not a chicken person, (Silkies and Showgirls do not count, lol), so I'm hoping some of you guys can tell me what this "guy" is? Some sort of Game Fowl maybe?

Pics from today...

2 days after I found it in the Turkey pen...

Agree he's a game-based cockerel. His color may have been someone's project, or it may be just a pretty accident. He's like a barred red pyle, but with too much red....very pretty, either way.

It showed up out of nowhere and ended up squeezing into my Turkey pen back in mid-Feb. I have no close neighbors, so I have NO idea how this bird found it's way here. When I found it it looked like it was maybe 2 weeks old, tops, so I'm figuring it's somewhere around 4.5-5 months old now. Hasn't crowed yet, but fights with my Silkie Roosters
roll.png
, so I'm assuming it's a cockerel?

I'm not a chicken person, (Silkies and Showgirls do not count, lol), so I'm hoping some of you guys can tell me what this "guy" is? Some sort of Game Fowl maybe?

Pics from today...

2 days after I found it in the Turkey pen...

Hi Peeps
frow.gif
Dont know what type but that form of coloration has a name... Crele...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/367439/crele-color

Pretty Roo....

deb

Last edited:
Thanks everybody
bow.gif
I figured he was either some kind of mutt/mix or... (gasp) something from a hatchery. Definitely a cockerel huh? So when's he gonna start crowing? I'm not a fan of crowing roosters, lol
he.gif
He was very friendly/tame/clingy at first, then turned into an independent little psycho turd that won't let me catch him, lol. Hence his name "Psycho Chicken"...
lol.png

And Thanks Deb... Crele, hmm. Whatever breed or mix he is, I think he's pretty easy on the eyes... so luckily for him that saves his butt from ending up in the crockpot or the smoker, lol.

For whatever reason he still wants in the Turkey pen... the Toms in there aren't so keen on the idea tho
roll.png

[COLOR=8B4513]Thanks everybody :bow  I figured he was either some kind of mutt/mix or... (gasp) something from a hatchery. Definitely a cockerel huh? So when's he gonna start crowing? I'm not a fan of crowing roosters, lol [/COLOR]:he [COLOR=8B4513] He was very friendly/tame/clingy at first, then turned into an independent little psycho turd that won't let me catch him, lol. Hence his name "Psycho Chicken"...[/COLOR]:lol:  

[COLOR=8B4513]And Thanks Deb... Crele, hmm. Whatever breed or mix he is, I think he's pretty easy on the eyes... so luckily for him that saves his butt from ending up in the crockpot or the smoker, lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=8B4513]For whatever reason he still wants in the Turkey pen... the Toms in there aren't so keen on the idea tho [/COLOR]:rolleyes:
yeah, he just wants a flock...but I just read about a wild turkey Tom killing a cock bird...so...yeah....do you have hens you could put him with after a quarantine?

Quote: I've had him for 4+ months, since he showed up here as a lil chick... so he's done his quarantine time, lol. He's been penned next to my Silkie Rooster bachelors for 4+ weeks now, and the only chicken Hens I have are Silkies and Showgirls... and they are penned in a separate area of my property about 1/2 acre away. I like my Silkie and Showgirl Hens with fuzz on their heads/backs, so he's gonna have to be a bachelor for life and hang with the rest of the boys. I'm pretty sure the Toms will kill him if I let him in the Turkey pen, so he can either hang/live with the Silkie Roos, or hug the Turkey pen all the time. His choice, lol.

Back
Top Bottom