Can someone make sense of this?

lilwanderer

Crowing
Apr 7, 2022
Live Oak, Florida
So I've just started hatching from my paint satin/silkies and my BBS silkies.
My only blue silkie hen that's laying went broody so I decided to let her test fertility before I incubated them myself.
-
The paint pen contains a Paint frizzle silkie rooster over a Paint satin and a White satin- (These guys being new I've yet to determine whether or not she's recessive white or not, i haven't hatched a chick off her yet. Hopefully she's recessive.)
-
For the BBS pen I've only got a mature pair and then a bunch of grow outs and young pullets.
The mature pair is a Blue frizzle silkie rooster and a Blue silkie hen (The one brooding currently.)
-
To get to the point, the blue hen's chicks have started hatching and as of this morning there's 4 chicks. 2 blues, 1 paint and a "partridge". 😭.
Now when i discovered this I thought one of the White satin's eggs hatched, and she must be dominant white. But according to the 4 eggs shells from the 4 chicks, 3 blue silkie eggs and. paint satin egg hatched.
(These eggs were marked, none of these empty shells said a white satin egg hatched.)
Since there's 3 blue silkie egg shells and only 2 blue silkies, the partridge had to of came from them. Thoughts?
-
There's a good chance she'll have 6 more chicks to look at from the bbs and paints in the next day or two.
I will get pictures of the chick later today, for now here's ALL the parents lol.
Paint pen:
5c86d62c-a087-4791-9af8-d324f4a5a20aphoto.jpeg
b2a66c88-2b48-479d-8bc0-07ffe5c30b3fphoto.jpeg
d2cb3cb6-e744-4a58-a68f-ed6a94f2a987photo.jpeg
b83d684e-8161-43af-9507-fc63caa636ebphoto.jpeg
a31d518a-205e-4354-9963-ff4b68c747e7photo.jpeg

d284c485-8054-4383-8f61-7a7b474c0754photo.jpeg

BBS pen:
IMG_20240201_173346264_HDR.jpg

51242e08-b132-48e8-9d3b-84d63556504bphoto.jpeg
IMG_20240309_132445833_HDR.jpg
e89e84b8-48de-403a-a09e-0db09864d3a6photo.jpeg

So I've just started hatching from my paint satin/silkies and my BBS silkies.
My only blue silkie hen that's laying went broody so I decided to let her test fertility before I incubated them myself.
-
The paint pen contains a Paint frizzle silkie rooster over a Paint satin and a White satin- (These guys being new I've yet to determine whether or not she's recessive white or not, i haven't hatched a chick off her yet. Hopefully she's recessive.)
-
For the BBS pen I've only got a mature pair and then a bunch of grow outs and young pullets.
The mature pair is a Blue frizzle silkie rooster and a Blue silkie hen (The one brooding currently.)
-
To get to the point, the blue hen's chicks have started hatching and as of this morning there's 4 chicks. 2 blues, 1 paint and a "partridge". 😭.
Now when i discovered this I thought one of the White satin's eggs hatched, and she must be dominant white. But according to the 4 eggs shells from the 4 chicks, 3 blue silkie eggs and. paint satin egg hatched.
(These eggs were marked, none of these empty shells said a white satin egg hatched.)
Since there's 3 blue silkie egg shells and only 2 blue silkies, the partridge had to of came from them. Thoughts?
-
There's a good chance she'll have 6 more chicks to look at from the bbs and paints in the next day or two.
I will get pictures of the chick later today, for now here's ALL the parents lol.
Paint pen:
View attachment 3808388View attachment 3808389View attachment 3808390View attachment 3808399View attachment 3808391
View attachment 3808396
BBS pen:
View attachment 3808397
View attachment 3808398View attachment 3808400View attachment 3808401
Partridge is recessive, & is the base for most Silkies.

Partridge is recessive, & is the base for most Silkies.
If its recessive, wouldn't it always show up over the blue? Maybe I've misunderstood but that's how I thought recessive worked. I've got two blue chicks which means this Blue pair will give blue, but if they're hiding partridge and its recessive I wouldn't get those blue chicks at all. Or at least thats what i thought? 🤔.
Again, I've only got one roo and one hen currently producing.
I spoke with the lady the roo came from, she said he came from her splash pen and she's already gone though them and got rid of birds she was getting partridge from. She told me it shouldn't have come from him.

If its recessive, wouldn't it always show up over the blue? Maybe I've misunderstood but that's how I thought recessive worked. I've got two blue chicks which means this Blue pair will give blue, but if they're hiding partridge and its recessive I wouldn't get those blue chicks at all. Or at least thats what i thought? 🤔.
Partridge sometimes is a solid, non stripey patterned chick. I've had partridge Silkie chicks be solid blue, or black. Since it's recessive, should at least expect a small amount of these to pop up from time to time.
This is a mixed chick, Buff Orpington/Barred Rock X RIR. She grew up Silver Partridge(Pencilled).
0804191214.jpg

Last edited:
If a gene is completely recessive it only shows up when it receives the gene from both parents. If neither parent shows the recessive gene they both have another gene that is dominant...in simple percentage the recessive gene shows 25% when BOTH parents carry the gene.

Partridge is pretty commonly carried by Silkies of many colors, so it's not out of the ordinary for them to pop up in other varieties every now and then.

No, that's not how recessives work. Recessive genes are those that will hide under other genes and only express when those other genes are not present. As an example, recessive white, c, is recessive to coloring, C+. If a bird is C+/c, then it is colored despite carrying the recessive white gene, but because it carries it it can pass on the c gene to its offspring. When two birds carrying the gene both pass that gene on to a chick, making c/c, that chick is then colorless. Recessive white covers up everything else when it does express, making a pure white bird, but it's still recessive because it requires two copies of the gene in order to be able to express. If the C+ gene for proper coloring is present, then recessive white does not express.

In this case, you're looking at partridge, eb, in a line of Blues that should be based on E extended black. Partridge eb is recessive to E, so a blue-diluted bird that is E/eb, especially with the melanizers that make unicolor blue without leakage, would otherwise just look like a proper Blue. When you have two birds that are E/eb pair up, you would get E/E, E/eb, and eb/eb in the offspring. So most of their chicks just look like normal Blues (or Blacks or Splashes), but about a quarter of their chicks end up partridge eb/eb.

I spoke with the lady the roo came from, she said he came from her splash pen and she's already gone though them and got rid of birds she was getting partridge from. She told me it shouldn't have come from him.

Recessives are pretty tough to cleanse a line of. It would not be surprising to me at all if they still have it in their pen despite their efforts to get rid of it. Though, them saying that your Blue rooster came out of a Splash pen is rather questionable as is... 🤔 Unless there's a Blue or Black bird in that Splash pen, Splash bred to Splash just makes Splash.

Partridge is pretty commonly carried by Silkies of many colors, so it's not out of the ordinary for them to pop up in other varieties every now and then.

No, that's not how recessives work. Recessive genes are those that will hide under other genes and only express when those other genes are not present. As an example, recessive white, c, is recessive to coloring, C+. If a bird is C+/c, then it is colored despite carrying the recessive white gene, but because it carries it it can pass on the c gene to its offspring. When two birds carrying the gene both pass that gene on to a chick, making c/c, that chick is then colorless. Recessive white covers up everything else when it does express, making a pure white bird, but it's still recessive because it requires two copies of the gene in order to be able to express. If the C+ gene for proper coloring is present, then recessive white does not express.

In this case, you're looking at partridge, eb, in a line of Blues that should be based on E extended black. Partridge eb is recessive to E, so a blue-diluted bird that is E/eb, especially with the melanizers that make unicolor blue without leakage, would otherwise just look like a proper Blue. When you have two birds that are E/eb pair up, you would get E/E, E/eb, and eb/eb in the offspring. So most of their chicks just look like normal Blues (or Blacks or Splashes), but about a quarter of their chicks end up partridge eb/eb.

Recessives are pretty tough to cleanse a line of. It would not be surprising to me at all if they still have it in their pen despite their efforts to get rid of it. Though, them saying that your Blue rooster came out of a Splash pen is rather questionable as is... 🤔 Unless there's a Blue or Black bird in that Splash pen, Splash bred to Splash just makes Splash.
Oh I see- i guess i got that from recessive white- As I heard that recessive white put with a bird that's not recessive will throw white birds.
For her pen- I'd have to ask to confirm but from previous conversations i believe in both of her splash pens the roosters are all splash and they're over blue and splash hens.
She always hatching from her pens and is constantly striving for the best, constantly culling lol. She told me she never gets partridge from them anymore- Last time she did I believe was early-mid last year and that was when she had a black hen throwing it, she culled her.

Oh I see- i guess i got that from recessive white- As I heard that recessive white put with a bird that's not recessive will throw white birds.

Any bird expressing a recessive trait paired with a bird carrying the gene for that trait can result in some offspring that also express that recessive trait. If you cross a non-white bird to a recessive white bird and some of the offspring are white as well, that indicates that the non-white bird carries a copy of the recessive white gene.

For her pen- I'd have to ask to confirm but from previous conversations i believe in both of her splash pens the roosters are all splash and they're over blue and splash hens.

Ah, that would make more sense! I had pictured a pen of only Splash birds. 🙂

Any bird expressing a recessive trait paired with a bird carrying the gene for that trait can result in some offspring that also express that recessive trait. If you cross a non-white bird to a recessive white bird and some of the offspring are white as well, that indicates that the non-white bird carries a copy of the recessive white gene.

Ah, that would make more sense! I had pictured a pen of only Splash birds. 🙂
Here's the partridge chick:
a54c92f2-cac1-448a-8a41-646539054007photo.jpeg
e7fe1572-2fe6-48ad-bb1e-58b0434f10dcphoto.jpeg

The other 2 chicks from my blues: (1 appears black.)
a7b5a626-8b8f-47fc-982d-5c699ca18aefphoto.jpeg
530d7a4a-5d62-4f88-8718-8b18658c9c01photo.jpeg

First paint chick: (Pictured because why not?)
c0b16cde-2626-4679-8df9-1e386f15de66photo.jpeg
b62174db-ea12-42dd-ac2d-bd859edb3edfphoto.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom