Can someone please tell me what color Bobwhite these are? (pics

JHorn91180

Songster
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Northeast KY
Bought 2 pair of these today. They were sold to me as silvers and they dont look like the pics I pull up when I type that in. Can some of u quail people please tell me what color mutation these Bobwhites actually are? Excuse my photo skills and ignore any other quail u may see in the background please. They r in a mix pen for the night. Feathers r also very ruff from travel and being in small cages for the trip.

Sorta new to quail and refering to the grayish looking ones of course. Thank all u quailsperts for any help with color?

Last edited:
it looks like you have them in with coturnix, i would remove them.

then 2nd and 3rd pic looks like coturnix in the foreground and background respectivly.

bobs can get very agressive in mating season and will destroy a cot.

edit: sorry i didn't actually read the post. lol

Last edited:
it looks like you have them in with coturnix, i would remove them.

then 2nd and 3rd pic looks like coturnix in the foreground and background respectivly.

bobs can get very agressive in mating season and will destroy a cot.

edit: sorry i didn't actually read the post. lol

LOL thats ok I needed to disinfect and and clean a cage outdoors (as it recently had young chickens in it) I hadnt planned on buying any new quial just seen them and was a spur of the moment decision. I didnt get home til really late and didnt wanna do it with a flashlight. Cots r in a lighted cage so I just tossed them in there snaped some pics and turned out the lights and got up a few mins b4 sunrise to prepare the pen for the move. I was so tired last night when I got home. On seconed thought that was still probaly a stupid idea. Altho the Bobs seem completely healthy I have put the cots at risk of disease. I have a friend who just got started with the snowflakes this year and hers r solid white base with black tick like markings all over. Very pretty but dont look anything like these.

ive been looking a quail colours due to it being my first time trying to hatch them this is a great webite for looking up mutations hope it helps

http://www.leggspeafowl.com/Quail.htm

they look kinda like the smokey grey on that page :)

Thank u I checked out the site. They dont quite look exactly like the Smokeys and they also look similar to the Blondes but not exactly like them either. Just an idea but wonder if they r possibly a new mutation of Bobwhite comeing from the breeding the before metioned mutations together.

Last edited:
look like 2 males and 2 females. you can see the masks kinda.

to me... also looks like normal wild colored bobs but "diluted" on every color? so... not sure what name to put to them or how they got them there, but probably crossed a bob "color" having a dilute gene with a regular colored bobwhite and passed on the dilute gene to the normal wild pattern? not sure what white crossed with normal gets ya. was this the only colors they had for sale?

I have had whites, reds and regulars but never crossed them.

look like 2 males and 2 females. you can see the masks kinda.

to me... also looks like normal wild colored bobs but "diluted" on every color? so... not sure what name to put to them or how they got them there, but probably crossed a bob "color" having a dilute gene with a regular colored bobwhite and passed on the dilute gene to the normal wild pattern? not sure what white crossed with normal gets ya. was this the only colors they had for sale?

I have had whites, reds and regulars but never crossed them.

Yes they were sold to me as 2 pair and no he also had reg wild colored Georgia giant bobs. They had Tennessee Red bobs and Mexican speckled, Oh and they had one solid white bob but it was paired with a wild colored bob. All were in long cages with dividers separating them into pairs and were being sold as pairs only. They did have some extra males all in a larger cage for sale per bird but they were also the above colors mentioned excluding solid white. That's all the bobs they had but were selling Blue scales, Valley and gambles quail by the pair too. Other then the single solid white bob, the color Bobs I bought were the most limited only having about four pairs available and a couple extra males. I asked several times what they were called again so I could remember and I was told each time they were Silvers. Shortly after I got home I did a few image searches for Silver bob white and quickly realized that color wasn't even close to what I was sold. I am very interested in knowing what they are and having a name for the color and really thought someone could of stepped in and told me by now. I have no other Bobs and in the last few days I have gotten 2 solid white eggs from these birds. I am hoping they continue to lay and I can put together a clutch to put in the bator very soon. If they r fertile we will see what color or colors they throw. I have searched the net for hours and have yet to find any Bobs that r colored exactly like these. I think I have seen pics of all the known mutations by now and these birds seem to be unheard of. I have sent pics to a couple of the large breeders in my area and they both stated they have never seen that color b4 either. It doesn't seem that this is a known color that exist in bobs and no one knows what they are.Assuming u r correct what color do u think they crossed to regular to produce these?

Btw last year I hatched 40 eggs from a man that had wild color and red bobs in the same large pen together (many more wild color adult birds then reds) as he was behind and had yet to separate them. Got the eggs at a discount because of this. I raised all 40 and released them at about 6 months old on my farm and surrounding woods (56 acres) Anyways most were regular wild color, 3 or 4 were red and about 10 of them were wild color and pattern with a bit more red cast to body and I think the mask may have been a bit smutty but u could tell they tried to be both colors at once. Just in case you were curious to what u would get if you crossed them. Lots of predators so have only seen one lone normal wild color female at the edge of the woods a few times this year.

I may email Leggs farm the pics and see if they can maybe help tell me what they r or combination of.

wow well then your little ones are special then keep us posted if you do find out where abouts in the world are you, never know they could be an import :D

Back
Top Bottom