Can someone post a picture of an EE hen at 8 or 9 weeks?

littlepip

Songster
Sep 1, 2018
Minnesota
Hi, I have an EE hen, (or so I think) and I've been seeing stories about chicken owners finding out that their hens from sexed batches, are roos, when told they are hens. I'll try to upload a picture later. can someone show me a picture of a 8 week old EE hen vs a roo?

Well, the hard part there, is because EEs aren't a breed and there's no standard, they come in all different colors...
Basically, at this age, some things to look for are a red comb and rusty red on the wing bars. Essentially, the flashier looking the bird, the more likely to be male. Flashiness attracts mates.
Here's some examples from Google, regardless, in a couple different colors. Notice the last one is a cockerel, he's got light rusty leakage coming through on the wing bar.
easter egger 1.png
easter_eggers.jpg
easter egger cockerel.jpg

As @Frazzemrat1 said, EE is not a breed but more of a mutt that should carry the blue egg gene and as such it's hard to say what a male vs female should look like precisely. That being said the usual indicators tend to apply. Comb growth, wattles in non-bearded EE, thick legs, overall shape and stance, sex specific color patterns like the red wings on non red birds, etc.
The good news is that many EE around the US are bred similarly using Ameraucana chickens to get the blue egg gene (there are also limited other options for this but this one is super popular among hobbyists and hatcheries alike) unless they're going for some specific proprietary mix of chicken in which case they'd have sold you it under that name. So a lot of EE will have similar traits and looks to some degree given they are heavily Ameraucana based.

My hen (?) has pointed tail feathers, reddish shoulder feathers, and a 3-row pea comb like a rooster, but she also walks hunched over and has a clucking sort of noise. what would a rooster sound like at this age?

here she is:
notice she has red leakage around the shoulders, but also everywhere else. She is a very colorful breed...
IMG_0068.PNG

size of her comb
FullSizeRender (3).jpg

chest pattern and leg thickness
IMG_0071.JPG

red leakage (see what I mean? it lines all of her wings.)
FullSizeRender (4).jpg

chest
FullSizeRender (5).jpg

body size

Hopefully this can help.

My other chickens are larger and look like full grown chickens. They ha e no rooster traits what so ever. I've sexed them and I'm pretty sure they're all female.
My EE has a light red comb, but her comb developed last. She's always been small and quite friendly.

Back
Top Bottom