can someone...

I think you will have to state where in VA you want to get the laws for. Many times different places within a state will have completely different codes.

-Kim

No, I'm not. I just wanted to go ahead and get the question of location answered, because it was going to get asked by someone.
lol.png

-Kim

In RI we went down to Town Hall and asked. We read through some papers that were vague. It said It is OK until or if it becomes a nuisance. Now we have our chickens but afraid if my neighbor complains we may loose them. Kind of confusing to me. Maybe your town hall would be able to help you out.

It would be great if people would look up laws in their own areas and post them.
I find it interesting to see how other areas' laws are.
smile.png

Here's our county rules for animals:
http://www.co.douglas.mn.us/L&R_Animal_Agriculture_Zoning_Animal_Agriculture.htm

Often the ordinances are intentionally vague allowing interpretation on a case-by-case basis. If you're concerned about neighbors complaining, TALK TO THEM FIRST!!

I can't say that enough. As the County Feedlot Officer I get so many complaints that just come down to poor communication between neighbors. Make sure they know that you are willing to make changes to accomodate their concerns before they complain and you have to get rid of them completely.

I agree about talking to your neighbors a bit and checking out their opinions. I would caution you a little about sounding like you are asking their permission, and you ought to have already done your homework so you know what is or is not allowed beforehand and can sound cheerful and reasonable. Some people have a tendancy to just answer in a dismissive no way kind of manner. I would tend to emphasize that you intend to be a good neighbor, want chickens for eggs, companionship, or whatever. I would also make it plain you intend to be considerate and not create a nusiance and be as generous and accomodating as you can.

Back
Top Bottom