Can you eat Polish Chickens? Are wild chickens okay to eat?

EilighsFarm

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 20, 2014
I was just wondering if you can eat Polish chickens? The question just popped into my head so I thought what better place to ask this question! Also, are wild chickens/ducks/turkeys,etc OKAY to eat? I would think not because they could be sick. I'm able to manage to catch wild chickens on the side of the road with some corn and a net so, I was wondering can I eat them? I wouldn't want to spread any disease into my flock (like chicken pocks) or make myself sick by eating them. Can I eat them? Thanks!

You don't disclose your general location. Where is it that you are encountering wild chickens???? Maybe they belong to a farmer and he is letting them free range. I would be ONE TICKED OFF DUDE if I saw you trying to catch my chickens and eat them. Many years back we lost a chicken to human theft. We then did find out who it was. Among ourselves we referred to that person not by name, only as lucifer.
Just for your own information.. If you handle sick chickens and you then handle your chickens you may transmit disease. Research and read up threads on quarantine and you may learn more details. I AM NOT SAYING that those wild chickens do have a disease, but IT IS A CONCERN OF YOURS. Inspectors that visit large chicken farms do not go to the next farm without being disinfected and change of clothes. This is to prevent spreading of disease.

You don't disclose your general location. Where is it that you are encountering wild chickens???? Maybe they belong to a farmer and he is letting them free range. I would be ONE TICKED OFF DUDE if I saw you trying to catch my chickens and eat them. Many years back we lost a chicken to human theft. We then did find out who it was. Among ourselves we referred to that person not by name, only as lucifer.
Just for your own information.. If you handle sick chickens and you then handle your chickens you may transmit disease. Research and read up threads on quarantine and you may learn more details. I AM NOT SAYING that those wild chickens do have a disease, but IT IS A CONCERN OF YOURS. Inspectors that visit large chicken farms do not go to the next farm without being disinfected and change of clothes. This is to prevent spreading of disease.

Ok, thankyou. Will not be eating wild chickens.......

I was just wondering if you can eat Polish chickens? The question just popped into my head so I thought what better place to ask this question! Also, are wild chickens/ducks/turkeys,etc OKAY to eat? I would think not because they could be sick. I'm able to manage to catch wild chickens on the side of the road with some corn and a net so, I was wondering can I eat them? I wouldn't want to spread any disease into my flock (like chicken pocks) or make myself sick by eating them. Can I eat them? Thanks!

As long as you process and cook them they properly wild poultry should be at least as good if not better than the store bought kind. However your recipe may need tweaking to compensate for less fat or more muscle fiber in the wild birds as compared to the domestic chickens.

If you truly do have a sustaining wild chicken population then whatever diseases your birds have the wild chickens have also been exposed to these diseases, and whatever diseases that the wild population has your chickens also have been exposed to these same diseases. With chicken pox lets say. Pox is spread from the bite of a chicken pox infected mosquitos. Mosquitos can be spread on the wind, and any wild birds that a mosquito may become infected from can fly 1,000s of miles before or after a mosquito feeds on it blood.

Last edited:
Of course you can eat wild chickens!! At least 1/2 my freezer is filled with wild game & fish.
Are they WILD? That is the question.

Yea thats what I was thinking, how long can a chicken survive in the wild, we have a time protecting them let alone when they have no fence no coop no roost even, I doubt chicken would live longer than a week unless its in a urban setting

Yea thats what I was thinking, how long can a chicken survive in the wild, we have a time protecting them let alone when they have no fence no coop no roost even, I doubt chicken would live longer than a week unless its in a urban setting

Agree with you. Just for the record;; A few years ago I had one go MIA for 2 week. It was spring time. She then surprisingly returned. Never left again.. I am a city slicker. Urban environment. She was a GOLDEN SEABRIGHT. I named her PHANTOM. can be seen in my pix.. She lived over 8 years.
hit.gif

As long as you process and cook them they properly wild poultry should be at least as good if not better than the store bought kind. However your recipe may need tweaking to compensate for less fat or more muscle fiber in the wild birds as compared to the domestic chickens.

If you truly do have a sustaining wild chicken population then whatever diseases your birds have the wild chickens have also been exposed to these diseases, and whatever diseases that the wild population has your chickens also have been exposed to these same diseases. With chicken pox lets say. Pox is spread from the bite of a chicken pox infected mosquitos. Mosquitos can be spread on the wind, and any wild birds that a mosquito may become infected from can fly 1,000s of miles before or after a mosquito feeds on it blood.

Ok!

Back
Top Bottom