Can you incubate eggs without an incubator?

And here is the video I learned to modify the thermostat so that it maintains a steady temperature within a degree.

the thermometer he is using is one of the cheapest wally world offers its response rate is less then desirable if you watch thus for over several hours time you get a much better idea how crappy WH t-stats really are , this or get a more responsive thermometer

What is that white thing stuck on the side of yours?
Its socket adapter for the light bulb. ill try the hardware cloth and see how it goes maybe i can find a little smaller size im gonna try hatching pheasants out of this so the hardware cloth will be good.

Here is the updated version im gonna give my hens another week to start laying fertile eggs and then ill throw them in there once i get the heat/humidity correct i found some smaller hardware cloth im gonna also throw a divider so the chicks dont get burnt by the bulb or drown inthe dish/sponge thanks every one for the ideas and help.

How are you going to control the heat?It has to be at 99.5.Plus Styrofoam breaths so the temp will fluctuate with the room temp.Why not just invest in an incubator?How are you going to brood them if they hatch?
In N.H.,Tony.

How are you going to control the heat?It has to be at 99.5.Plus Styrofoam breaths so the temp will fluctuate with the room temp.Why not just invest in an incubator?How are you going to brood them if they hatch?
In N.H.,Tony.

The Styrofoam is insulated quite well and is holding a consistent temperature i guess the only way to adjust that is to poke holes and patch them i have an incubator but this seemed pretty cool so i thought i might try it. my quail are about to lay eggs so i thought id try it with them first then maybe some of my chickens i even thought if it works well i would try some pheasants to. i have a tray that i can take out for all the shells and stuff to fall in. Should be cool to see if it works

Without a thermostat you are kind of peeing in the wind. The temperature of the room will directly influence the temperature of the incubator. I use these for all the bators I build.

The first one I built I ran on a dimmer switch because I knew i was technically and mechanically capable of making it work, and it was a waste of my time. 17 days to hatch a few chicks, and i had to mess with it way too much.

These kind only cost me $160 to make and $110 of that is egg turners.

You can build it just like that but I'd put in the thermostat I linked you to. Just get some long #8 machine screws with washers and nuts and bolt it to the styrofoam. You just wire it in on the hot leg of circuit (it doesn't really matter which leg you wire it on really but it's best to adhere to basic electrical principles for safety purposes). You are only dealing with hot and neutral so it's a piece of cake really. If possible use an old plastic ice chest because it'll be easier to attach everything to, if not the styrofoam is fine.

Back
Top Bottom