Can you keep baby turkeys and baby chicks together

BirdLover22

Hatching
Aug 28, 2017
We have one turkey chick whos finale nest mate pasted away we also have 2 baby chicks that we got from tractor supplym so since the baby turkey lost its nest mate I was wondering if it was safe to put them together?

Thanks,
BirdLover22

We raised our turkey and chicks together with no issue. Well one issue ... after a month we got 2 more turkeys and to first one still wanted to be with his flock of chicks, very upset if separated even if it was just wire between them. He earn the name Houdini because he kept e
20170515_111942.jpg
scaping and rejoining HIS chicks.

We have one turkey chick whos finale nest mate pasted away we also have 2 baby chicks that we got from tractor supplym so since the baby turkey lost its nest mate I was wondering if it was safe to put them together?

Thanks,
BirdLover22
Yes, many give newly hatched poults chicks as tutors. The turkey should be getting a high protein feed. When I brood poults and chicks together, I feed them a 28% protein turkey/gamebird feed. The high protein feed is not harmful to the chicks and both the chicks and turkey will do fine on it.

I have a bunch of guineas, chicks, and poults (all teenagers) that have lived quite happily together since they were just days or a week old.

I go guineas to take care of the ticks on our new farm, poults because the guy I bought the keets from raises his with turkeys so I thought why the hell not (warning: poultry math!), and chicks because I had read that raising chicks with keets will help calm down the crazy keets. Now I have a bunch of crazy keets, chicks that think THEY are keets too and some really confused poults who think that everybody needs to just chill out and calm the cluck down already.

Back
Top Bottom