Can you keep guinea fowl in the suburbs?

Nutcase

Songster
7 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Australia
My Coop
My Coop
I am interested in keeping guinea fowl. I am in the suburbs. So, if they were raised from chicks and fully comfortable with their surroundings, do they have the potential to be quiet and less flighty? I know they are naturally wild, skittish birds so please tell me if this is too good to be true. I'm looking for fowl that won't wreck my garden and since I am giving away my chickens to a friend, guineas came to mind.

Thanks in advance!

Guinea Fowl are NOISY, OBNOXIOUS and they can FLY a great distance. I have seen my birds take off and go to a tree almost vertical. There is no stopping them from being a very Loud bird. The Hens are the worst and the Cocks aren't far off. So I would think unless you have some tolerant neighbors (and a tolerant spouse for that matter) I would just stick with a few chicken friends. Do not get me wrong, I think Guineas are wonderful and I get a laugh out of them almost daily, but they are not for a "backyard".

I have a different experience with guineas. I live in a small town, in a house with a large yard. Years ago I had three guineas, one male and two females together with another poultry (chickens, ducks and turkeys). The yard is surrounded by a fence 1 m high. They never fly over. Yes, they were loud, but only during the day and only if someting unknown get close to the fence, they are quiet at night. The neighbors have never complained about the guineas, the chickens were more annoying with early morning crow. Now I only have chickens, but I miss guineas, and I think I will get some again :)

Back
Top Bottom