Can you potty train Quail?

Oob Child

Crowing
May 13, 2023
Hi, I was just wondering if you could potty train quail, if so, how would you do it? I heard you can potty train chicken, so why not quail? Does anyone have any experience with this?

No. Even chickens can't be potty trained as a general rule, though a few rare ones may have learned.

Potty training works best with den dwellers who are accustomed to keeping their dens clean. Birds are not den dwellers, so they have not developed any instinct towards keeping a certain place clean.
Ok thanks!

In my experience, my coturnix quail are barely smart enough to recognize me. Despite my attempts at hand taming, treats, etc they still respond the same way to me as they do to my partner who does not treat or handle them. It was difficult to teach them to use a new water system lol. I don't know that Quail are really capable of learning litter training. But I don't think that should stop you if you want to try! If you have a couple that 'get it' maybe you can breed a line of quail that are more trainable.

In my experience, my coturnix quail are barely smart enough to recognize me. Despite my attempts at hand taming, treats, etc they still respond the same way to me as they do to my partner who does not treat or handle them. It was difficult to teach them to use a new water system lol. I don't know that Quail are really capable of learning litter training. But I don't think that should stop you if you want to try! If you have a couple that 'get it' maybe you can breed a line of quail that are more trainable.

I'm glad to know that mine aren't any dumber than the average at least 😄

That sounds like a good idea!

Probably not on purpose, but my four 9 day old celadon coturnix chicks have started pretty much only pooping on the paper towels that I put their water bowl on and spread their food out on after I had to move them two days in a row to clean their brooder. They hated being picked up so much, and still do, so they might have just figured out that I won't need to pick them up of they don't poop on everything in the brooder. I've been cleaning it thoroughly every other day cause of it, but I do have to change their food and water more often to keep everything clean

Probably not on purpose, but my four 9 day old celadon coturnix chicks have started pretty much only pooping on the paper towels that I put their water bowl on and spread their food out on after I had to move them two days in a row to clean their brooder. They hated being picked up so much, and still do, so they might have just figured out that I won't need to pick them up of they don't poop on everything in the brooder. I've been cleaning it thoroughly every other day cause of it, but I do have to change their food and water more often to keep everything clean
I'm afraid that it's more likely that they poop on the paper towels because they spend more time there because the food and water are there.

Back
Top Bottom