Canadians check in here....

I'm next door....from Manitoba!
frow.gif
Are you upper or lower SK?

Holy moly! What type is the ones that roosted out at night? Tough birds!!

Some of my roosters were out as low as -12 or so...but when we got the first big dump of snow, I moved all the roosters into the large shed...lol.

they were some mixed breeds they survived they needed a day inside to warm up but They lived through it
They basically only need somewhere to shelter them from the wind

Oh...cool! I'm lower Manitoba as well...lol. It's a small world.
smile.png

they were some mixed breeds they survived they needed a day inside to warm up but They lived through it
They basically only need somewhere to shelter them from the wind
I would need more than a day to warm up...
gig.gif
I failed to dress warm enough when we were getting cold...I think it took 2-3 days to get over being chilled. Chickens are tougher than I am...lol. Yours sound like good chickens to have! My roosters are in a large tractor shed, large enough for 200 chickens (I was making evil plans) and there's only 40 or so of them so they were basically out of the wind and that was all. Some froze tips and such of their combs, some didn't. They all made it through ok, they just won't be as purdy.

Hey folks, checking in from Sackville, NB. Planning to get hens in the Spring. Anyone else on here from this area?

I'm from Windsor, NS and go to the livestock auction in lawrencetown each Spring. There are always lots of brown layers for sale at the end of April so if you have something similar in NB I'd suggest going there to try and score some cheap hens/pullets if you only plan on keeping them til winter so you don't have to wait until fall to start getting your first eggs (from chicks bought in May that is).

Hi, from upper Saskatchewan here! Finally an amazing spring like break after -40 weather we have been I low minus and even some positive temps. Water not even freezing. So got more pens made and lots of separating for all the different purbreds to start hatching! And lots of culling and butchering. So thankful! Looking forward to this year of hatching and selling chicks! Such a nice break in the weather, so happy! Can you believe -40s to water not freezing a couple nights!

Hi, from upper Saskatchewan here! Finally an amazing spring like break after -40 weather we have been I low minus and even some positive temps. Water not even freezing. So got more pens made and lots of separating for all the different purbreds to start hatching! And lots of culling and butchering. So thankful! Looking forward to this year of hatching and selling chicks! Such a nice break in the weather, so happy! Can you believe -40s to water not freezing a couple nights!
I am VERY much enjoying this weather! With these mild temps and high humidity came damp bedding and such. The guys cleaned the coop today...which is 150% better! It would be great if this weather stayed. I'm not asking too much, am I...lol

Back
Top Bottom