Canadians check in here....

welcome-byc.gif

Muskoka is such a beautiful area! I'm also a first time chickener, with chicks coming in the spring. What breeds did you decide on?
Thank you Treerooted, it is beautiful! I'm looking forward to warming weather though!! I haven't fully decided yet on all the breeds or how many I'm going to get, but so far I'm looking at Ameracauna's, Easter Eggers, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Barred Rocks, Marans, Astralorps, oh man, I could just keep going! I'm trying to put a restriction of 6 chickies on myself... we'll see how it goes!! What breeds are you getting?

Thank you Treerooted, it is beautiful! I'm looking forward to warming weather though!! I haven't fully decided yet on all the breeds or how many I'm going to get, but so far I'm looking at Ameracauna's, Easter Eggers, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Barred Rocks, Marans, Astralorps, oh man, I could just keep going! I'm trying to put a restriction of 6 chickies on myself... we'll see how it goes!! What breeds are you getting?
Those sound great! I've gone for the hardy dual purpose breeds - Brahma, Orpington, Australorp, Sussex, Wyandotte, Barevelder.
I was going to get Barred Rocks, but I've decided to wait until next year. And I was seriously considering the Marans as well. And of course those Easter Eggers for fun. Ah, it was so hard to choose! Good luck with your decision making
smile.png

Those sound great! I've gone for the hardy dual purpose breeds - Brahma, Orpington, Australorp, Sussex, Wyandotte, Barevelder.
I was going to get Barred Rocks, but I've decided to wait until next year. And I was seriously considering the Marans as well. And of course those Easter Eggers for fun. Ah, it was so hard to choose! Good luck with your decision making
smile.png

Honestly though, if it was truly up to me I would have probably 100 chickies running around!! My hubby keeps me in check
th.gif

I don't know much about Brahma's, or Sussex's and have just recently looked into Barevelder's. I still need to build the coop and run but I have about 4 feet of snow up here so I am anxiously waiting to hit ground and start! It sounds like you will have an amazing group of ladies, keep me posted on your experiences!

Have not tried shipped eggs yet! Kind of scared to! So been hatching out day old chicks to sell! Not in your local area though. Plus bother those breeds I have small pens stop lol of so need to hatch out what I can
Which of the two you looking for and I can give you names of those that do ship eggs!

I would be interested in the chocolate Orpington. Thanks and good luck with yours!

Honestly though, if it was truly up to me I would have probably 100 chickies running around!! My hubby keeps me in check
th.gif

I don't know much about Brahma's, or Sussex's and have just recently looked into Barevelder's. I still need to build the coop and run but I have about 4 feet of snow up here so I am anxiously waiting to hit ground and start! It sounds like you will have an amazing group of ladies, keep me posted on your experiences!

Ya, I've got a brooder to design/build and a coop needed major repairs. But that can wait until March
smile.png

Forgot to mention my breed choices are specifically for meat as well (hence the dual purpose aspect).

Ya, I've got a brooder to design/build and a coop needed major repairs. But that can wait until March
smile.png

Forgot to mention my breed choices are specifically for meat as well (hence the dual purpose aspect).
Yes, right... I didn't realize all those breeds were good meat birds. I'm still such a newbie
lol.png

Loads. This is snow belt zone coming off the lake. Snowed all day today
sad.png

COME ON SPRING! And chick hatching time!
Ya, it was snowing here pretty heavy too all day! It's probably still snowing but when I look out my windows I just see black! lol Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom